Baby food

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Baby food

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 pm

I saw somewhere baby food was mentioned. I found today and bought 4 small jars of baby food. The only ingredients are the veggie or fruit itself. But I realized after I gave them some tonight from 2 jars, it didn't say organic. But I'm guessing if it's all natural for babies, it wouldn't be full of pestisides. Would you say it's safe?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Baby food

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:27 pm

It probably isnt organic. Did you open up all, cause I'd reccomend returning those you haven't opened back to the store and getting cash back - or store credit - to buy some that are slightly more suitable.
Organic is believed to be a better choice due to how similar crabs are to various insects out there... however, a small minority do feed non organic foods - and from time to time, as do I - so i wouldnt worry if it turns into the occasional treat.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:It probably isnt organic. Did you open up all, cause I'd reccomend returning those you haven't opened back to the store and getting cash back - or store credit - to buy some that are slightly more suitable.
Organic is believed to be a better choice due to how similar crabs are to various insects out there... however, a small minority do feed non organic foods - and from time to time, as do I - so i wouldnt worry if it turns into the occasional treat.

Ok. Thanks. Yeah, I can return 2 I didn't open.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 am

I got some organic baby food once that was on sale so I grabbed a few jars of sweet potato and peas. The sweet potato was a hit and the peas were completely ignored.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am

Happyhermiehome wrote:I got some organic baby food once that was on sale so I grabbed a few jars of sweet potato and peas. The sweet potato was a hit and the peas were completely ignored.
I know I'm chancing getting something they won't eat. But it's no more expensive than getting whole organic foods.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:40 am

Lots of people on here use baby food. I always recommend to buy organic when you can!

For baby food, a lot of people buy the jars and then use ice cube trays to freeze the baby food into small amounts so the jar doesn't go to waste. Then you can pull the cubes out as needed :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Lots of people on here use baby food. I always recommend to buy organic when you can!

For baby food, a lot of people buy the jars and then use ice cube trays to freeze the baby food into small amounts so the jar doesn't go to waste. Then you can pull the cubes out as needed :)
That is an awesome idea! I never would have thought of that. Lol.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

That really is a super idea! I'm gonna do that next time! Thanks GB :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Yw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 pm

I do what GB said. I have a few jars of organic baby food and I got some of the mini ice cube trays with silicone bottom (makes it easier to pop them out since I use small portions) and I keep them in the freezer. They r great to pop into an egg shell on busy days. I do the same with scraps of raw fresh foods - chop them up small and freeze them. I practically have whole hermie meals ready to go in the freezer at any time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NerdyLisa

Post by NerdyLisa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:02 pm

I was going to suggest what others said about the ice cube tray. When my son was a baby I made my own organic baby food by buying vegetables, cooking, puree, then froze in ice cube trays. So if you want to go above and beyond you could make your own as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14 pm

NerdyLisa wrote:I was going to suggest what others said about the ice cube tray. When my son was a baby I made my own organic baby food by buying vegetables, cooking, puree, then froze in ice cube trays. So if you want to go above and beyond you could make your own as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
:hlol: I don't do above and beyond. Especially where cooking is involved. Convenience. That's my motto.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:I got some organic baby food once that was on sale so I grabbed a few jars of sweet potato and peas. The sweet potato was a hit and the peas were completely ignored.
I noticed alot of the organic baby foods had ascorbic acid. Is that ok? Also some contained lemon juice; cinnamon; curry.
I tried to get ones that had only the actual food. But it's real limited then.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:40 pm

Ascorbic acid is basically is the compound that is commonly called 'vitamin C'. Like for example, Sodium Chloride is commonly called sea salt (or table salt or just salt)... same thing, just one is used in science, other used by common folk.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:54 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Ascorbic acid is basically is the compound that is commonly called 'vitamin C'. Like for example, Sodium Chloride is commonly called sea salt (or table salt or just salt)... same thing, just one is used in science, other used by common folk.

Thanks!