Copper

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Alaina

Copper

Post by Alaina » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:54 am

Is lnt copper bad for hermit crabs? I just got some new food mixes from the crab patch and all seem great. I did notice on one the ingredients list copper. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the soil. Any thoughts? Image

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Copper

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:07 pm

They have copper based blood, so some copper is needed to keep them healthy.

It's like iron for us humans, a little is vital so we don't become anemic, but an overdose will kill.

HCP has a very long history and will not harm anyone's crabs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Alaina

Post by Alaina » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:14 pm

Thank you. I have never has any issues with them either. I read somewhere, copper isn't good. I feel much better now. I appreciate the explanation. It makes a lot of sense

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:12 am

Keep in mind, that's not an ingredient list, rather a breakdown of common metals and minerals that may be present within that product (looks like worm castings?). All of which, are useful things maintaining proper cellular function like Wod said.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:07 am

I would also be very confident in feeding anything from the Hermit Crab Patch. They are one of the oldest sellers of food and products for hermit crabs. I would say that anything from them will be safe.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Alaina

Post by Alaina » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:19 am

Thank you guys! I thought it may be from the soil but I knew you guys would know what it was. I love the crab patch. I offer alot of fresh food but it makes me feel confident they will get all the proper nutrients if I use their stuff along with the fresh. Plus, their prices are remarkably cheap. I really appreciate you guys chiming in. It is actually a worms mix lol