Cuttlebone Question

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Spocktopus

Cuttlebone Question

Post by Spocktopus » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:22 am

Hey guys! Not sure if this question belongs in Crab Behavior, but since it involves edible stuff I will post it here.

I just moved my two PPs into a 40 gallon tank, in which I added a few pieces of cuttlebone for calcium. I had cuttlebone in my old 10 gallon, but it was definitely processed and more like a slab of calcium supplement stuff. The new one I got is an actual cuttlebone.

The crabs never showed much interest in cuttlebone in my 10 gal. However, when I put them in the 40 gal, both of them immediately went to the cuttlebone and started going to town. They were eating it for hours, and there is a visible and relatively large chunk missing from it now. Is this normal? One of my crabs who ate the most of it came up from a molt a few days ago, is this just him recovering calcium/other nutrients? Or, is this indicative of a calcium deficiency or other problem?

Sorry if I am being over-vigilant, just wanted to touch base with you guys and see what you all think :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ stay cool ~
pet dad to Dottie the dog + Scuttle and Tank the purple pinchers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Cuttlebone Question

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 am

It’s likely a mixture of needing calcium and just being excited about a new food item.
Cuttlebone has other minerals and is seafood-flavored to boot so they probably see it as a treat. They’ll slow down once they’ve had enough.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Cuttlebone Question

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:49 pm

Pigging on calcium or mineral sources is very common in crabs. It's not a sign of deficiency but rather a craving, even crabs who haven't been deprived will go through phases of eating an entire dish at once.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Spocktopus

Post by Spocktopus » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:20 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:49 pm
Pigging on calcium or mineral sources is very common in crabs. It's not a sign of deficiency but rather a craving, even crabs who haven't been deprived will go through phases of eating an entire dish at once.
JoeHermits wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 am
It’s likely a mixture of needing calcium and just being excited about a new food item.
Cuttlebone has other minerals and is seafood-flavored to boot so they probably see it as a treat. They’ll slow down once they’ve had enough.

Thank you guys so much, it's a relief to hear! I'm glad that there's no issues with them eating it like that.
~ stay cool ~
pet dad to Dottie the dog + Scuttle and Tank the purple pinchers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 am

My crabs love when i add a new cuttlefish bone, regardless of whether they have multiple in their tank already. Its probably cause it's still 'salty' and taste like the ocean.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies