Comercial Foods Debate

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:05 am

I don't think anyone was rude or not nice, and everyone deserves respct regardless of how long the've been a member. But on our FAQ's about FMR is clearly states:
What Commercial Foods Contain EQ and Other Preservatives?

* FMR
* Crab Island Fruit and Flower
* There are many commercial foods that contain EQ and other preservatives. If you are concerned about what is in your crab's food, read the labels.

I'm not going to feed my crabs this. I researched the foods and followed the commercial foods debate very closely. I think every member on here should do thier own research, whether its archives or the internet and find the results.
IMO,and it's an opinion, is that since it has EQ in it it should'nt be fed to hermit crabs. I am doing that for my crabs.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ripshaw
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by ripshaw » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:08 am

wow christa thanks for clearing up the difference between FMR and FMRI for me, lol. sorry for the confusion everyone, that was my bad assumption they were the same thing
~ Rip Tang, female crabber!

Laurie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Laurie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:36 am

I have always had FMR food as my staple/base food in my crabs' diet. The recent crab deaths are, I feel, associated with the time frame when I purchased them, and they all came from the same store.

I have used FMR for over five years, and I still have two of the original five PP's from 2000. They are all growing, healthy and active. I am learning more about natural foods, but at the same time I am not going to quickly remove FMR from their diet.

FMR gave me TONS of valuable information a few years ago and assisted me several times when I had problems with PP's. Although I am against their practice of promoting the painted shells, cages, etc., I am thankful I had them to turn to at a time when I was first starting out with hermit crabs. Sadly, since visiting FMR at the Sarasota Convention, they do seem to be more commercialized and now focus more on profits and less on the quality of crabs.

Laurie
Laurie
Crabbing Since 2000
Wife to Mark, Mom to Five, Owner of Reggie Cat, Lab Lucy, & numerous Crabs (PPs-Es-Rugies-Indos&Cavs)

Christa

Post by Christa » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:01 pm

If somebody PMed me and complained about rudeness (which they did), then yes someone was rude in this thread. Perhaps "snippy" would be a better description.

Perhaps the HCA needs to do its own research and then adjust its FAQs. The problem though is getting any pet food manufacturers to admit to using EQ. None of them will admit to it that I know of. Unless we have a member with access to a laboratory and knows how to get the stuff tested, we're out of luck.

Christa

[Edit] I have just been PMed for the second time about this thread, so I am locking it.
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com