What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2006~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Re: no fresh food here

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:29 am

KYcrabbiegirls wrote::( Our silly crabs won't eat anything fresh. We have tried all different things, with no luck. They seem to like dried shrimp or krill, Emily's betta fish's blood worms, algae tabs or bird seed treats with fruit/nuts/honey (no preservatives). Wish I could get them too, because all of your dinners sound great! Should I keep trying fresh? Thanks Kathy and Emily
Keep trying the fresh stuff. My hermies were totally hooked on FMR commercial food at one point. Trying to switch them to fresh food was an uphill battle, but eventually I weaned them from the nasty stuff!

Since they like dry shrimp, bird seed treats, nuts & honey.... Why not try sprinkling the fresh food with the bird seed & crushed nuts? Or if you are serving them fresh fruit, drizzle it with honey. Also, you can try "seasoning" fresh meats, poultry & vegatables with a little sea salt.
This is the way I get my picky eaters to try new things! :wink:

Tonight's menu:

Organic Blueberry Applesauce
Coconut
Organic Peanut butter
Raisins

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm

My guys are going to be dining on lettuce leaves, shredded carrot, a bit of dried shrimp and chopped walnuts sprinkled with cuttlebone powder

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:14 pm

Thanks, Kathy. I tried some sweet potato last night, and I can't really tell if any is gone, but there are pieces broken off and around the tank so at least for once there was some interest! I'll keep trying. Thanks Kathy

Topic author

food

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:03 pm

A purieed mix of
-red bell pepper
-prickly pear fruit
-coconut
-cantelope
-broccoli
-blue berries
-carrots
-organic banana baby food
-peaches
- and a plum
-dried rose petal
-dried Chamomile flowers

Added few slices of shaved frozen salmon and salad shrimp and sprinkled over the frozen purieed mix is some unsalted organic shaved peanuts, waltnut and almonds. A and a whole rasberry to top it off.

OK, OK i know i spoil my crabs but i love em :D :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:40 am

For my PP's I have chopped oranges and some fresh honey on the side im hoping this will do. I have to go to grocery store tommarow and get some mango's, banana's, strawberries, coconuts, and grapes. They do sell coconut's at king soopers and albertsone right???? any suggestons on anything else i should get that my crabs may like and how long should I keep the food out and should I put variety of food or the same thing over and over???

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:08 am

Yam
Peach
Nectorine
Tangerine
Blueberries
Raspberry
Papya

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by megs » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:58 pm

chicken, red pepper, broccoli, carrot, celery, cilantro, mushroom, lettuce, cucumber & sunflower seeds
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:36 pm

Apple drizzled with wildflower honey; key west pink shrimp fried in extra virgin olive oil, coconut and parsley; and a half of an orange slice.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Scythan

Post by Scythan » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:47 pm

Sweet potato baby food with a sliced up cherry tomato. Zebra was pigging out on the tomato within five minutes, but couldn't eat the baby food because it was still frozen. I think he's about to molt, he has been eating so much!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:25 pm

[quote="Scythan"]Sweet potato baby food with a sliced up cherry tomato. Zebra was pigging out on the tomato within five minutes, but couldn't eat the baby food because it was still frozen. I think he's about to molt, he has been eating so much![/quote]

At least your crabs are eating, mine havent even gone near the coconut and strawberries I put out for them. i have three pp's one is dug down under the water dish and the other two are still in the coco hut, they are all probly just destressing but it would be cool to see them do something. I guess patience is the only answer! [smilie=banghead.gif]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:46 pm

Our babies have been digging quite a bit today, a little less time in food dishes maybe. You should see all of the holes, and one was lifting up cholla log each time he dug (not bad for a little guy)!

So today we had:

minced thawed krill
minced dried fruit (hermie food, no bad stuff)
minced mango
a bit of banana
a bit of apple sauce
a bit of peanut butter mixed with ground concoction of cuddlebone, whole grain oats, algae disc (containing spirulina, I think), flax seed
coconut/fruit mix (hermie food, no bad stuff)
a bit of honey (from Gram's & Gramp's bees)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:58 am

Today they are having their new Hermit Crab kibble that I won off of Ebay from Naturally Crabby. (Check her products out-she also sells hemp climbing nets and hammock). They're also getting a side of organic sweet potato baby food. I gave them green sea veggies for the first time. I sprinkled some sea salt over some of the items. I shaved some cuttlebone over everything that way they can't miss it.

I'm also giving them a treat that Naturally Crabby sent as a sample. I mixed with some honey to make it like a paste (that was her suggestion). I also put a drop of orange juice in it. And a dab of peanut butter. Sounds like a nice treat right?

If you want to check out Naturally Crabby and her store here is the link:
Naturally Crabby

Here's the link for her store:Naturally Crabby Store

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:54 pm

I am pretty sure that the seller is actually LolaGranola, aka Michelle, who was a member here for a long time. She knows her stuff! How do the hermies like her food? Sounds like a winner!

Tonight's fare:

Organic Raisins
Crushed Organic Wheat crackers
Fresh Florida (Plant City) Strawberries
Mashed Mango

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Did you mean her name on this forum is/was LolaGranola? Yes, her name is Michelle. The food looks and smells fine, but I never see them eating. Who knows what they're up to at night when I'm at work. They may eat they may not. For those of you with hermies that have strong appetites, I'm sure they'd love the food, and the treat.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:13 pm

We haven't put in any fresh stuff tonight yet, but last night we gave them a chunk of raw yam and they went INSANE for it. I've never seen them react that way to food. I put it in a chunk "skin on" and they've eaten it practically down to the skin! (there are pictures of two of them attacking the yam on my blog)