What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2006~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:18 pm

*Kathy* wrote:I believe that FMR pellets have the dreaded EQ in them, too, though it isn't listed as an ingredient. My hermits were highly addicted to that stuff when I first started crabbing. It took me about 6 weeks to completely wean them off of it!

Tonight's menu:

Papya
Organic Peanut Butter
Krill
Parsley Sprigs
Grape Halves
You have to wean them off? :?

By the way tonight is rice and strawberries

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 am

Yep! It took about 6 weeks~ :?

I couldn't get them to eat anything but FMR, so I started adding small amounts of a homemade dry kibble to their FMR. I gradually increased the amount of good food & decreased the amount of FMR.

BAB

Post by BAB » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:33 am

well this was a huge hit... had to fill the bowl twice and that's odd to me because it's so... simple? hehehe

dried seaweed, shredded and spritzed with salt water
dried shrimp, crushed
organic peanut butter oil
Epicurean food mix from "Julia Crab" sprinkled over top

Weird... I guess they were in the mood

They had another bowl of dry kibble and that was gone this morning too. Spoze they were just hungry last night. I did do a tank clean so maybe that encouraged the feeding frenzy.
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:34 pm

Chopped pineapple, cantalope, green bell pepper, fresh Florida strawberries, and coconut!

Scythan

Post by Scythan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:00 pm

Last night, I gave them pear pieces and a california roll slice (trial run) and in the morning the pear pieces had vanished! I couldn't find them anywhere. :lol: And the california roll had been taken apart and dragged everywhere! They really stuffed their faces... it's strange that I didn't hear them make any noise.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:11 pm

I just came from ice fishing and my crabs will get some fresh fish. I serve it raw.

I smashed rest of the fish in mixer and added some boiled potato and honey. Ill freeze this for further use. I didnt remove skin or bones and they are all mixed together. Especially the bones must give their more calcium in the natural form.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:45 pm

Organic dried rooibos leaves (on safe food list), grated carrot, fresh honey on the comb (decided to try it), sliced peeled mushrooms. Everything sprinkled with cuttlebone powder. Tonight I will give some frozen brine shrimp! :pukeright:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:50 pm

"Aristotle's Omlet" (my PP Aristotle absolutely LOVES this)

Scrambled egg (made with olive oil) with shredded carrots and red peppers. Tomorrow is Silversides day.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:53 pm

My best meal I have offered to them yet! If only I put in carrots...
1 shrimp
one pinch of calci-sand
2 grapes
2 strawberries
dried bloodworms
dry rice

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:05 pm

Today's delight:

Peas
Cantalope
Pineapple
bananas
Crushed almonds on top.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Today they are eating Italian! Seafood Pasta, consisting of Cornmeal maccaroni, chopped tomato, chopped silversides, drizzled with olive oil & sprinkled with dried parsley.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:58 pm

today they have:

banana
eggshell
egg
popcorn

:)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:52 am

I found a bag of freeze dried organic all natural mixed veggies. It has corn, peas, carrots, red bell peppers & tomatoes (that's it that's the ingredients list) I put it in the ultamate chopper with some brown rice oats and a couple of Kashi crackers... this is now my substitute commercial hermie food... I think mine might have been addicted to the FMR type stuff too but I didn't buy any... I am trying to get them to eat fresh but have only seen them eat the dried stuff I made.

So last night they got my freeze dried mix and a bowl (milk cap) of honey.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:00 am

My fresh food mixes:

Grain mix: Flax seed, oatmeal, walnut, wild rice, long grain brown rice, sweet brown rice, wehani and Black Japinica

Grain mix with honey

Veggie mix: Zucchini, yellow squash, acorn squash, carrots, Org Baby Food (OBF) sweet potatoes, grain mix and sushi seaweed

Fruit mix: Strawberries with leaves, cantaloupe, oatmeal, sushi seaweed

Tropical Fruit mix: Coconut, pineapple, kiwi and papaya

Turkey mix: sushi seaweed, grain mix and OBF carrots, apple, Turkey and barley

I have been rotating these mixes daily (I shaped them into little balls and froze them) and they have not really been eating them. Picky or addicted to the commercial crab food... I do not know... I hope the won't starve themselves.

Tonights food: Tropical fruit mix, cooked shrimp chunk and honey bow.

Any one have any thoughts on when to put the food in? I have been putting it in at night but I wonder if I put it in earlier it would have more time to stink and muck up a bit to make it more appealing????

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:11 pm

today's menu is:

grapes
banana
eggshell
uncooked oatmeal