Tofu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Tofu

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:40 am

Couldn't find tofu on the safe foods list, think it would be ok to try?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:09 am

I wouldn't. Too artificial, no real benefit to the hermies (i wouldn't think it would do them any good, at least)

So it would definitely be a no for me..

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:59 am

It is safe for hermies...its soy, a food high in protien.

I have given it a couple times and nothing has gong wrong and they seemed to like it.

I believe some of the recipies at EH include tofu. :)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:04 am

Quistgard wrote:Too artificial...
Artificial?! This is tofu we're talking about! LOL it's soy bean curd compressed into a block.

It's great in thin slices fried up with soy sauce and garlic (not for the hermies, of course)...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:09 am

Eh, the kinds that have been given to me, I read the recipe list, and I didn't like the sounds of it, haha. This was also from a caffeteria though, maybe they add things and such.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:41 pm

I figured it would be ok for them, thanks for the replies! I figured the high protein would be good for them and I just opened a package yesterday...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:04 pm

It would be great, and since tofu is great at soaking up the flavor of whatever it's cooked with, I bet you could cook it with something they really like and they'll chow down.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:00 am

Ooh! Like with fish. I bet they would go nuts for that. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:17 am

Mmmmm, Tofu. I love tofu, I'm making hot pot tonight so maybe I'll save some out for the crabs.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:35 pm

great_owl wrote:I'm making hot pot tonight so maybe I'll save some out for the crabs.
What's hot pot?

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:36 pm

I think its like a hot dish or a casserole...Ive heard them called all sorts of things depending where you are in the country :) My roomate in St.Cloud MN use to call them a "hot dish".

I had never thought of cooking the tofu with something...I have it frozen in the freezer and I might have to break it out for the hermies this weekend and make em a dinner lol!
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:04 pm

Tofu hot pot is tofu and vegetables in a savory sauce, very yummy. It's an Asian dish.