Do they really eat this stuff?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Do they really eat this stuff?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi all...

I was just reading in the Emergency forum, and someone had said that the crabbies eat reptile moss. Is that right?

I have a moss pit and I was wondering why Hermie rarely comes out and hasn't been eating the fresh food I'm putting in lately. (Yes, I'm positive he hadn't been eating this because it was cooked, cubed chicken and pieces of broccoli stem- both smooth on the ouside- and no marks in them at all.) Could this explain it?

Also, Wormie sat in the moss pit for several days, and has now dug down. Haven't seen her in about 4 days. Don't think she's molting, though... She did a surface molt in May or June (ish). Any ideas?

Thanks!

BAB

Re: Do they really eat this stuff?

Post by BAB » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Yup... crabbies eat moss. I think it's gross, but most of what my crabbie's eat I think is gross. HEHE My biggest E, that is also new, sat for a VERY long period of time eating moss like spaghetti. HAHAH I couldn't believe it. Had never seen another crab do that before.

As for the other crab. Most likely just hanging out somewhere. Could be another molt if it's a little crab. I have 1 crab that can molt 3 to 4 times in a row. Don't know why or how she does it... but she does.

Keep giving them those yummie snax and I'm sure you'll find claw marks on 'em soon.
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:10 pm

Yea mine LOVE moss as well and I have a bunch that practically live on the second level and while I also put a food dish up there, the second level substrate is moss...so I can only assume that is what they are eating while living under the corkbark hidey hut.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

JeffCrab

Post by JeffCrab » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Yep, The moss BAB gave me is now a moss pit and my Straws and E's love to go over there and nibble on it. I also found that my new E's are ALWAYS! in the food dish first! lol

Jeff
JeffCrab

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:52 pm

My rugs like it too! They seem to eat it more than my Purple Pinchers.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:53 pm

2 of my PPs pretty much ignore the moss, one of them goes nuts over it. If I keep it in there it's literally all he'll eat. I heat it up in the microwave with some salt water and he just loves it. Lately, I've been adding spirulina powder to the salt water or sprinked on the top so that at least if all he eats is moss he'll get a bit more nutrition out of it.