reptile & turtle foods good for land hermit crab??

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
tonycoenobita

reptile & turtle foods good for land hermit crab??

Post by tonycoenobita » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:12 pm

i have a question that there are many reptile & turtle foods in the pet shops , but they are good for land hermit crabs.

I have not tried any of these food, I do not know it is harmful or not as reptile, turtle and land hermit crabs are different type of animal.

But a Tawanese people said that he used turtle "Calcium powder" to provide calcium need for his crab and reptile "vitamins".......is is good or not??
Tony

Land Hermit Crab Species Introduction:
www.tonycoenobita.com/species_eng.htm

Crabbing since 2000

Willow

Post by Willow » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:50 pm

Calcium powder for reptiles is fine to use, and I will sometimes use reptile vitamins for the hermies, too. But I wouldn't feed them most commercial turtle or reptile foods, because most of them have harmful preservatives, such as ethoxyquin. If they don't contain any harmful ingredients, I think you could give turtle or reptile food to the hermies sometimes, as part of a balanced and varied diet.

Topic author
tonycoenobita

Post by tonycoenobita » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:51 am

What other kinds of harmful ingredients should be avoided?
Tony

Land Hermit Crab Species Introduction:
www.tonycoenobita.com/species_eng.htm

Crabbing since 2000

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:36 am

Most of the commercial turtle and herp foods contain waste products because it's cheap. "Plant and animal by-products" (I think that's the term) is just a nice way of saying: we put anything in that food that we couldn't use for anything else.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002