Anybody use live bambo?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Anybody use live bambo?

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Not sure if this is a food and water question or a crabitat conditions question, but does anyone use live bamboo?

Greg

annopia

Post by annopia » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:58 pm

i haven't tried it yet, but i am very tempted to. bamboo (except lucky bamboo) is on the safe food list, and i think the crabs would love climbing and nibbling on it. do you already have it in your tank, or are you considering it?

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:00 am

I use bamboo plants, but they tend to die quickly, I'm not sure why (too dark or too humid, I think too humid). One of them even started to bloom - that's very rare, but bamboo blooms only once and then dies.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:46 am

I use live bamboo, but they don't eat them. They DO enjoy climbing on them. They day I put them in there, they were soooooo happy!!!!

It's also really cool because some of the bamboo plants are grown to be in spirals----crabs love that stuff!!!!! :P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:48 am

btw----

if you're going to use them, put them in a place where watering them will be easy---cause like the above post, they can die quickly. I've had one plant for a few months, and I keep it by the water dishes. they stay very happy there.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:35 pm

The spiral bamboo is also called Lucky bamboo and is not a bamboo at all, but a species of dragon plant. Those are toxic for hermit crabs and shouldn't be used in the crabitat.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:37 pm

OMG

i am EVER so happy you told me that.

this thread was meant to be............

thankyou thankyou thankyou

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:40 pm

Luckily, no one has died from it.....

dude.......