By Request ~~ Kathy's "Colorful" Crab Menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 am

debby-nj wrote:What is a silverside and where do you buy them?
Silversides are little fish (minnows). They are sold at most pet stores like Petsmart, Petco, etc. They come in a large package, so when I bring them home, I have to break apart chunks & package them in little baggies for individual feedings. Warning: do NOT try to cook them.....they are stinky enough without smelling up your entire house! [smilie=sick.gif]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:02 am

So they must be in the frozen food section. Correct?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:07 am

Yes, correct! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 am

Tetracolor wrote:Kathy...

Yes, I am a teenager, but only by a couple of months and I'd be willing to clean a bathroom or two and wax a car every now and then if I could live with you and bring my crabs along! :hlol: I don't eat a LOT. I like cereal. :D
If Kathy won't take you, Tetra, I will [smilie=yippee.gif] You'd have to shack up with my daughter, though, so as long as you don't mind sharing a room with her and a darn-cute hamster, you'll fit right in. You two already seem like two peas in a pod :D My only requirement would be that your hermies must come, too!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Silversides are small fish kind of like minnows. You can buy them at pet centers in the frozen section. :)

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Ooh Ooh I want to come to Mommas house! Hey, I'm a young teen to and I clean the house, and I'm really cute!!! (And my hermies can come!!!) :lol:
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Butt out of this, hermietastic! :x Momma, I'll gladly move in with you and daughter and hamster. :) I'll bring ALL 22 of the crabs along with me to!! :wink:
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

*Kathy* wrote: Warning: do NOT try to cook them.....they are stinky enough without smelling up your entire house! [smilie=sick.gif]
...have you tried dehydrating them....thats truely a joy!! ;) Bf walked into the apt when I was dehydrating a bunch of them and he almost threw up. :lol: I couldnt smell them...probably because I had been basking it in all day and was use to the raunch *uck*
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:42 pm

I will have to give the silverslides a try.

My guys love anything fishy. The stinkier the better.

Right now I am using smelts. They are so stinky I need to double bag them in the freezer.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Tetracolor wrote:Butt out of this, hermietastic! :x Momma, I'll gladly move in with you and daughter and hamster. :) I'll bring ALL 22 of the crabs along with me to!! :wink:
Well, Tetra, before you start packing, I should also mention you'd have her two younger brothers and a bulldog to contend with :lol: They're all pretty good, though. Well, Luther smells bad at times, but... Oh, and hubby will likely not be too thrilled with another teen in the house (recall how he was when I wanted more crabs!!!), however, I did ultimately succeed in turning him around on that and now look at him - helping me with the new tank and all, awwww!!! So, there is hope :toothy7:

Hermietastic, the more the merrier [smilie=yippee.gif]

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 pm

I'm used to younger brothers. I've already got one over here so two shouldn't be to big a difference! :lol: And I'm fine with a smelly dog, our corgi doesn't have the best breath in the world. :P And trust me, your hubby will grow to love me! Everyone that hangs around me for any considerable length of time does!! :D

So, when should I start packing? :hlol:
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:17 pm

Ya, I have a little brother who is 7 and tries to destroy me, and 3 doggies!!(A lab-bordercollie mix, who wieghs almost a 100 pounds, lol, a Chihuahua, and a Chihauhua-Poodle mix puppy named Lola who is 2 months old and like a preemie!!)

I'll start packing Momma!!!! :lol: :hlol: :D
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:34 pm

debby-nj wrote:I will have to give the silverslides a try.

My guys love anything fishy. The stinkier the better.

Right now I am using smelts. They are so stinky I need to double bag them in the freezer.
I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up smelt. I have used them, and they seriously STINK. But my crabbies LOVE them. Check out this pic of them eating it:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166 ... SoGood.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166 ... tFeast.jpg

Thanks Kathy for all that info!
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Yep ... I was reading the archived threads and saw the one about smelts.

I noticed that the silverslides are intact ... head/tail/eyes. That sort of grosses me out.

Although the recommendation was to buy the whole smelts ... I chickened out and bought the cleaned ones. But seeing how the crabs run after the shrimp tails and exo skeletons next time I will buy the whole smelts. Honestly the bag was under $5 and I have enough until the next century.

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:03 pm

debby-nj wrote:Yep ... I was reading the archived threads and saw the one about smelts.

I noticed that the silverslides are intact ... head/tail/eyes. That sort of grosses me out.

Although the recommendation was to buy the whole smelts ... I chickened out and bought the cleaned ones. But seeing how the crabs run after the shrimp tails and exo skeletons next time I will buy the whole smelts. Honestly the bag was under $5 and I have enough until the next century.
I agree, but I think the crabbies would like whole pieces, lol Some of these smelt that I have, have their insides still intact *ew* And the crabbies go wild over them...
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!