need nutrition tips

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

need nutrition tips

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 am

hello!
we just got two beutiful pp 's from boulder and i need some tips on giving them a balanced natural diet. i dont like the sound of all those unpronouncable chemicals at the bottom of the ingrediant list on the comercial food.

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:50 am

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:05 pm

thanx joel! i knew that hermies arnt exactly picky eaters, but that is one big list!! thanks again 4 all the help!! :)

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:01 pm

ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:05 pm

And another store that MamaZelly forgot

www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com

:wink: Good luck!

EDIT *I changed the link... for some reason it never takes me there unless I put the "the" in there but sure I changed it*
Last edited by Tetracolor on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:57 pm

I'd forgotten about that one! But the link doesn't work....I tried it without the THE in the address, and that worked. :wink:
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Well, here are the crabby nutrition basics. (be careful what you wish for. :hlol: )

Protein: Crabs need a lot of protein, about 2-3 times as much as people. Good sources are ones that are low in fat. This is sea food, egg whites and lean meat. Although nuts and other fatty sources of protein are good treats they are not good sources of protein, since crabs do not need a lot of fat in their diet and things such as nuts and beans do not have enough protein.

Carbs: Carbs can be almost anything for crabs. They like grains, dried fruits and dried veggies. Healthy carbs such as dried fruits and veggies also give them lots of vitamins. If you don't have a food dryer try grains, raw potato and other starchy foods.

Fats: Like I said before, crabs have a low tolerance for fatty foods. However many fatty foods such as egg yolks and nuts are very high in vitamins. Feed these, but on the side so that the crabs are not forced to eat fatty foods. The same goes for oils, if you use them, use it over a portion of the meal, not the whole thing.

Calcium: There are few concentrated sources of calcium. If you feed a lot of pineapple it will reduce your need for a calcium supplement. Good sources of calcium supplement are egg shells, cuddle bone and calcium supplement made for lizards.

Minerals: Minerals are found in high quantities in sea food and animal organs such as liver. My personal fav source of protein and minerals is freeze dried shrimp.

Vitamins: To get all the vitamins they need mix up the fruits and veggies. Keep variety. Raspberries and carrots are especially high in vitamin D and vitamin A respectively. As long as there is variety the vitamins will be easy for the crabs to get.
coloradocritterco.com

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:35 pm

is that caci-sand stuff a calcium source?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Kind of--they like regular food better though. Here's what I would recommend:
EGGSHELLS--whenever you cook eggs save the shells, wash them, and crumble them over your crab's food. They're a really great calcium supplement and crabs like them.
CUTTLEBONE--awesome for calcium! Crumble, crush, powder, give them a chunk, or just stick the whole thing in there! They will eat it, love it, and grow stronger exoskeletons.
BROCCOLI--give them either the heads or the stems and bingo! Lots of healthy vitamins.
STRAWBERRIES--they have more vitamin C than oranges!
OATS--these are pretty healthy for them, and they will eat a lot of them if you mix them with honey.
Hope this helps!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:16 pm

hey, theres finaly a good use 4 eggshells :hlol: thanx for the help everybody! :)