Protien

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Protien

Post by SuperFanjaya » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:28 pm

What are good sources of protien for crabs? Right now, all the protien they are getting is from their eggs once a week. I give them the shell every day with other foods, does the shell have protien?
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Tofu is a pretty good source of protein.

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:48 pm

What are you having for dinner?

If you set aside a bit of chicken, turkey, or whatever your main source of protein is, and cook it without seasoning, they can eat what you eat. If you chop it up and freeze it, you'll be able to use it for a while without having to cook again.

If you have a spare dollar hanging around, you can get a baggie of freeze dried chicken from NarNar. One of those baggies lasts for a huge long time, considering how little each crab actually eats.

Other sources of protein:
ground beef
shrimp
fish
meal worms
crickets
assorted nuts and some seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc)
krill
bloodworms

...and lots of other stuff! I'm sure someone will chime in with a bunch of other protien sources for you.
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:12 pm

All sources of meat are high in protein. Other sources include wheat germ, nuts and seeds, tofu, and eggs. :)

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:56 pm

At PetSmart, you can get freeze-dried bloodworms, krill, or crickets. Thos are all sources of protein.

Cuttlebone is a source of calcium.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:26 pm

You can probably use them, just be sure to check what they use to preserve them. If you see something that says copper sulfate in them, don't bother with them. Though, honestly, from what I've heard about those cans of crickets in the Bearded Dragon forum I'm on, I wouldn't use them. That's just my opinion, though.
If you're worried about your crabs getting enough protein, I'd go to NarNar or the Crabbage Patch and pick up a kibble or mix with protein in it. My babies love the Surf and Turf mix at the Crabbage Patch and if you order from those sites you know you're getting quality ingredients from people that care about crabs, not crap someone threw in a can who wanted to make a buck.
Or if you can't order online, in the fish food section of your local pet store you'll find lots of treats they can have that are safe for them.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Post by SuperFanjaya » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:53 pm

so is freeze dried krill goood? does it smell? I heard it STINKS!!!
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Yes, krill is good for them, but yes, it does stink. So does most hermie seafood. As long as you keep the container closed and don't stick your nose up to it, you shouldn't smell it, though. It does smell but it's not strong enough to fill up a room. At least not what I've used in the past.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Post by SuperFanjaya » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:03 pm

do those worm things smell?

blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Freeze dried shrimp is a complete protein for crabs much like soy is for people. It also has a lot of calcium. Petsmart sells it in little jars, I buy them in 5 gallon buckets! (for my kibble).

My crabs love them.
coloradocritterco.com