Vacation Food...?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
MamaZelly

Vacation Food...?

Post by MamaZelly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:36 pm

I was at my local pet store today, and seemingly hit the jackpot. I came across freeze-dried "instant meals" made by Healthy Herp.

At first glance, everything in them looks hermie safe, but I wanted to double-check on the calcium carbonate. Is that form of calcium safe?

Here is the ingredient list for the Dragon Food:
Freeze dried dandelion greens, red clover tops, corn, carrots, green beans, leeks, zucchini, meal worms, banana, calendula flower petals, calcium carbonate.

And for the turtle food:
Freeze dried banana, blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, papaya, kiwi, pear, apple, bee pollen powder, calcium carbonate.

They were only 1.99 each, and seem like an easy way to give them a fairly balanced diet that's easy for my crabsitter to handle.
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Nevermind!

I just realized that eggshells and oyster shells are composed of calcium carbonate, and those are perfectly safe for hermie ingestion.

Sorry about that! And now back to your regular programming....

:roll:

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:16 pm

I think calcium carbonate is just a form of calcium. :dunno: Most seashells are made up of that. :wink:

blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 pm

these things are great. TCP even sells them.
coloradocritterco.com

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Awesome!

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Where did you find that? Who makes it? I am going out of town this long weekend and that would be PERFECT for my crab/cat/housesitter!! I was just going to give them all dry food on Friday and hope that it was still okay by Monday...but this sounds way better! Hope to hear back from you soon!!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:33 pm

"Healthy Herps" makes this brand of food. You can find them at your local pet store or The Crabbage Patch.

That link will take you directly to the product so you can see what it looks like. However, I would watch out for the Veggie Mix because it contains leeks. I don't see them on the safe list.

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 am

My local "big" pet store has a huge reptile section, and they had it with the other reptile foods.

Their hermit crab tank was another story entirely......we won't talk about that. :evil: