cook the food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
SaPen

cook the food?

Post by SaPen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:34 am

I was wondering if you are supposed to cook everything you feed to your crabs or not. I know obviously fruits don't but how about veggies and meats that people usually cook? I was wondering if raw meat was safe, I know in dogs and cats a raw diet is superior to a cooked diet because the food keeps it's nutritional value and because dogs and cats were designed to eat things raw. But for crabs is there a danger in raw meats?

If you cook the food does it still have to be organic? Is there anything that is safe when it's not organic?
Rhea: Female Ecuadorian (2010)
Eurybia: Female Ecuadorian (2011)
Zephyr: Male Ecuadorian (2012)
Apollo :Male Purple Pincher (Summer 2013)

~Crabbing since September 2008~

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 am

I personally haven't fed raw meat (like chicken, pork or beef), but have fed raw fish, snow crab, and lobster, since that's what would happen in the wild. I don't think that wild crabbies have too many camping stoves. :P As for chicken, pork, and beef, I've fed chicken cooked... sometimes, they might harbour an illness (that's why people cook them).

Soooo... I'd cook that type of meat. Seafood is okay raw. And veggies are fine raw, but can be cooked. But as you said, they are more nutritional when raw.

~Ryan :)

edit: It is recommended to feed organic, but as I'm restrained by what my parents buy, my crab food usually isn't. Just give it a good wash. I also don't usually include the peel, like for apple or pear.
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:57 am

I feed mine just raw foods except for Eggs and Carrots.

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by megs » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:03 am

I usually cook all the meat because I leave it in there for a day or two. Certain vegetables I might cook slightly just to soften them up a little or just to intensify the smell of them a little.
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."