Feeder guppies?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
snickersnflip

Feeder guppies?

Post by snickersnflip » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:01 pm

You know those little feeder guppies that they sell in pet store to feed to bigger fish? Well, do you think you could feed it to the crabs? And if you could, how would you serve it? I could see just giving it to them raw, because thats probably what they would have n the wild, but how would you do that? Maybe put it in the freezer for a while?? Sorry for all the questions LOL this just popped into my head today :) lol
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 pm

I know as a rule for using feeder guppies and feeder goldfish as aquarium food, most educated aquarists do not use them, due to the nature of how they are kept in the store which leads to rampant disease in the feeder stock. Also most people don't really consider them to be a great source of nutrition.
As far as for crabs, I'm not sure. The risk of sickness is probably less since its a crustacean consuming the fish vs. another fish eating it but it may still be there. I do know you can purchase frozen silversides in the frozen food section at most pet stores and people do feed those. Maybe someone else can come along soon and add more information.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:03 pm

I've always heard the same as samurai_crab - that feeder fish are very likely to be diseased and it's not worth the risk. And it's not just fish that they aren't recommended for, but turtles and snakes can get sick as well.

Check out the frozen fish food section if you want to do something different for the crabs. There is a huge selection of products available that are healthy and clean, and you wouldn't have to kill it yourself. :) If you want to browse what could possibly be available at your store (every place is different), Fosters and Smith has a great online selection:
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/f ... /7927/8038
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 pm

ok thanks guys! that's what i thought about them, since feeder mice are so inbreed and diseased, that maybe the fish were too. so that's why i asked first. :) i will look into the other kinds of fish :) i already have freeze dried shrimp, but i thought it would be fun to like rotate between fish and shrimp. :) i wish i could eat it LOL ( 'cause i love seafood!) but it's for the crabs :)
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)