Tannin source

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Tannin source

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Lately i have been noticing my crabs eating my Habbit hut. it is simply a log cut in halve and hollowed out. Now I have two issues. Is it okay for them to eat it, and should i replace it if they keep eating it so it doesn't get too old?

Hermitcrablover12

Post by Hermitcrablover12 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:59 pm

wood is rich in tannin and I feed mopani wood, oak wood, and oak leaves for tannin. I also have cholla wood, and other woods. You don't have to replace it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:04 pm

ok now i also have a hollowed out coconut is that also ok for them to munch on?

snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Yes, the cocunut shell is safe for them to munch on :)

The way i get them tannin is, i go outside in my yard and pick some oak and maple twigs straight from the tree, boil them and let them cool, and then put them in :) some of themmare placed randomly around the 'tat, some of them i use to hold up vines, and some of them i make little " trees" out of by tying a few together :)
If you chose to do the above, i think it's best to make sure that no pestisides or insectiside wher around the trees you pick from, just to be on the safe side :)
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:45 pm

You can also microwave the leaves twigs and bark for about 2 mins less if you have less leaves and twigs or a high powered microwave or heat them in the oven. Never leave it unattended.. Or you can put it all in a zip lock and freeze it for a few days to kill off any bugs or nasty stuff. If you do acorns i would suggest you crack open the outer shell of the nuts and boil them or bake them the crabs seem to like them when they are more cooked. I boil them in salt water then bake them to dry them out to store them.. the crabs love them and they are full of tannins.. I will add them to the hermit crab dollar store when the snow melts and i can get more! lol I do have some of the other leaves and barks here http://www.etsy.com/shop/Suebeebuzz?section_id=6854851
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:45 am

dramacat692 wrote:ok now i also have a hollowed out coconut is that also ok for them to munch on?
Sure is. I rotate coco nut shells through the tanks because they little bugs eat the strands of fiber on the shells and leave them bare in no time.

I open most of my coconuts with a 3 inch hole saw so that i always have an instant coconut to put in. They love them.

Keith

suebee

Post by suebee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:44 am

Keith I still cant PM but so glad to see you back! Happy New Year! :D
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Karthanon_MT

Post by Karthanon_MT » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:33 pm

This was one thing I was going to ask - for coconut, when I pull out the meat can I just put the shell in the tank as a hut (after I cut a hole for entry, of course) without ripping off the bark/sanding off the outside of it?

suebee

Post by suebee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:45 pm

sure can they love the coco nut milk or liquid inside too.

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:21 pm

The water in the coconut is good for crabs and can be served. Coconut milk is actually derived from the meat of a mature coconut. Its often used in many different recipes and can be found in cans at the grocery store. It is often full of additives and preservatives for flavor and for keeping the shelf life long. I wouldn't go with the canned coconut milk for feeding crabs.
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!