question about sponges

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

question about sponges

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm

If you have the 2 water dishes of fresh and salt water in your tank, do you really need a sponge also? and, if you have one, does it need to be kept in the dish with the fresh water or can it be kept separate? right now i have the 2 water dishes, and then a sponge that I keep with fresh water separate from the 2 water dishes. I was just wondering if it was really necessary, cuz it gets all sandy and dirty and sometimes little bits tear off of it and its just kind of annoying and so if I dont need it I wont keep it in. Thanks! (:

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Nope, you don't need a sponge at all, as long as they can get into and out of the water dishes they are fine. If you are using it to help with humidity, moss also works just as well. Crabs do like snacking on sponges I've heard, but they'll be just fine without one.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:15 pm

ok thanks!

thysmittenkitten

Post by thysmittenkitten » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:34 pm

i do use sponges to help my little guys get out of the water bowls. i've also used aquarium decorations (looked like a little piece of coral), but the crabs seems to prefer the sponge. i always see a few of them chilling out on top of them! especially the freshwater sponge :) i just make sure to buy new sponges every month or two so that the sponges don't build up too much harmful bacteria/mold.
*~Maria Elena~*

i've been misunderstood for all of my life. *Neil Diamond*

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:17 am

My crabs love the sponge pit I made. I put 5-6 natural sponges in a deep
shower caddy and spray it with with dechlor. water.They love sitting in it and eating. It keeps the sponge out of the substrate and helps humidity and smells nice. Sponges tend to smell bad in salt water. I do not have to worry about bugs like I would with a moss pit.

quebert36

Post by quebert36 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 pm

I also keep sponges to help my smaller crabs get in and out their water dishes. I always make sure I rinse out my sponges and let them completely dry every other week or so to keep the bacteria away.
( )
( )( )
( )( )( )
( ^^ )
()() ll (=)()

-Kensie & Krabs

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 am

Unlike kitchen sponges if you let the natural sponges the natural sponges in your tank will not collect and hold bacteria. I think this myth started because of all the talk about kitchen sponges.. my next door neighbor is a chemist and she has taken my sponges into work and tested them.. ive used sponges in my tank for many years with no problems . the crabs play with them love to eat them and they are a great way to help the tank with humidity. Just make sure you have natural sponges. On ebay they are selling purple and other sponges as hermit crab sponges, they are just kitchen sponges cut down to small size. They are not natural sponges. Sponges are safe.. and good for your crabs..
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
rhemaangel

Post by rhemaangel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 am

I keep natural sponges in my water dishes not only to help the itty bitty guys get in & out, but also because of the location of the pools. Igot tired of hearing Cheeki going "clank, clank, clatter, BLOOP" as he fell into the salt water pool from the climbing branch. :roll:

I also find some of the bigger crabs sitting on the sponge just munching and basking. :hlol:

I change my sponges out every few days, and boil them once a week.