grass and bird seed ?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
corvas

grass and bird seed ?

Post by corvas » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:17 pm

I noticed several people posting about putting grass seed and bird seed in their tanks. Is this safe, and if it is, what kinds of seeds are ok to throw in?

Mike120

Post by Mike120 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

I didn't grow my grass from a seed, and I didn't grow it in the tank. I dug up a sprout and planted in a pot to let it grow to full growth before putting it in the cage. :)

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:59 am

Millets of any type are safe, they are what makes up the main part of parakeet/canary food. It's possible that you will never see any grass, though, my crabs at least are very good at digging up and eating the sprouting seeds before they are even visible. You can also use wheat, barley, oats, pretty much any grain fit for human consumption.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:10 pm

They do have fun. :)

If you're going to use grass seed (which is usually a mix of grasses and wheats), make sure to look for untreated seed. Some seeds have been treated with chemicals to make them sprout better, and it's probably best to steer clear of those. I used very cheap bulk bin seed from Tractor Supply and had good results. Try to go for a "shade" mix as it'll hold up better in the low-light of the tank. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

EnginerdLisa

Post by EnginerdLisa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:59 pm

wodesorel - I love that photo!

Topic author
corvas

Post by corvas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

that is so cute! im inspired now.

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm getting ready to do a deep clean. I'm going to have to try some grass seed. Thanks for the idea!!
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

Silver Buttons

Post by Silver Buttons » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 pm

I have thought about growing grass in my tank, but I don't know where to find grass seed that is not treated with pesticides or whatever chemicals they use. The best I can do is to pull some up in the spring from areas that I know are not sprayed, and stick it in the soil. It doesn't last long, as the crabs eat some of it, and the rest dies.
My DeviantArt account
~*~*~*~~*~*~
My 2 PPs: Beatrix & Jasper. ^_^