so I work at a greenhouse

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ceniza

so I work at a greenhouse

Post by ceniza » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:05 am

and I can get any kind of plant/seeds/herbs anything like that.. I kno some stuff is treated with pesticides and I know what ones are so im not too worried about that.. So my question is..I know these guys would lovve some of the things we have here? any suggestions becz im not too sure about what to get

Topic author
ceniza

Post by ceniza » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 pm

anyone??

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:31 am

Don't feel bad about the lack of response. I think you probably stumped some of us :wink:

It's kind of tricky working out what seedlings they can have, because although they might be able to eat the fruit and seeds of certain plants, that doesn't mean the leaves are automatically safe. And I guess that since most people don't feed their hermit crabs seedlings, it's largely uncharted territory.

Have you checked out the safe food list? http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=64004

There are some leaves mentioned on there, like blackberry leaves, broccoli leaves, cauliflower leaves and carrot tops.

Some people have also found that their crabs like to eat grasses http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=79588

Mine adore lettuce.

If you have the time, you could grow marigold/calendula plants and feel them the flowers as then you'd know they are pesticide free. Same with carnation flowers.
Last edited by tnt4eva on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:37 am

If you're planting a vegetable garden, then things like peppers, tomatoes, melons, pumpkin, carrots, and zucchini all went over well with my crabs last summer. Flowers that you can pick and bring in are calendula, dandelion, nasturtium, squash blossoms, edible amaranth - those are just the ones I've tried and they've all been eaten with gusto. Herbs are a bit tricky as a lot of the plants that are safe for us are also natural bug repellents, but cilantro, parsley, and basil are definitely safe and mine have eaten them. The safe food list that tnt4eva gave you is a great resource!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram