Blood Worms?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Blood Worms?

Post by SuperFanjaya » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Hey everyone(:
My mom recently started growing some mealworms with her preschool class, and brought some home for me to give to the crabs. Is this okay to feed them?
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:35 am

Bloodworms are a type of midge larvae. I give my hermits freeze-dried on a regular basis. Most won't eat them, but I do have three crabs who will fight over who gets to sit in the dish and eat the whole thing! :lol:

Mealworms are a type of beetle larvae. I also give these to the crabs freeze-dried in a mix and they are a HUGE hit. The mix has freshwater shrimp, crickets, and mealworms and they can polish off a large dish overnight! :shock: If you're feeding fresh them you're probably going to want to pre-kill them since the crabs normally wont' go after moving food, and also if the worms get away they will molt into adult beetles, which isn't fun!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Post by SuperFanjaya » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Ahh sorry, I didn't realize I wrote 2 different things :roll: They're mealworms, so they should be okay? Thanks!
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 pm

SuperFanjaya wrote:Ahh sorry, I didn't realize I wrote 2 different things :roll: They're mealworms, so they should be okay? Thanks!
Yes mealworms (and bloodworms) are safe. My crabs seem to enjoy both. :D

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Post by SuperFanjaya » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Okay thank you! I'll try them out tonight :D :D