Blue Color

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Actionizer

Blue Color

Post by Actionizer » Sat May 07, 2011 8:10 am

What foods should i feed my crabs in order to give them a blue color?

Gab33

Post by Gab33 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Errrmm...well... Somehow I doubt you're going to feed your PP until he turns blue. ._. Color is a bit limited to species...

I was reading your other post, and are you sure you're ready to buy a species of hermit crab that is blue? Also, why are you so bent on having a blue hermit crab?

For overall color enhancers,
Kilimanjaro wrote:

Astaxanthin
Definition - a strong pigment molecule that is usually found in rich red foods.
Function - enhances color in land hermit crab's exoskeleton and aids in keeping organ systems and bodily functions healthy.
Foods - krill, plankton, red seaweeds, shrimp

Beta Carotene
Definition - an orange and red pigment molecule that is found in brightly-colored foods.
Function - enhances red and orange color in hermit crab's exoskeleton and is processed into Vitamin A in a hermit crab's body
Foods - apricots, bell pepper (red, orange, and yellow), blueberry, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrot, chard, cilantro (raw), collard greens, dandelion greens (raw), lettuce (dark), mango, microalgaes, papaya, parsley (raw), passionfruit, peaches, peas, persimmon, pineapple, pumpkin, snap beans (raw), spinach, spirulina, squash, seaweeds, sweet potato

Other Carotenoids
Definition - molecules that enhance color and reflect different wavelengths of light
Function - enhance color in the hermit crab exoskeleton and aid in bodily functions and keeping organ systems healthy
Foods - apricot, blueberry, carrot, collard greens, egg yolk, guava, kale, mango, pink grapefruit, salmon, shellfish, spinach, squash, sweet potato, tomato

Tannin
Definition - a pigment molecule that is found in fibrous foods
Function - enhances color in land hermit crabs and keeps bodily systems healthy
Foods - roots, tree bark, tree leaves

Zeaxanthin
Definition - a carotenoid found in various foods
Function - enhances color of the exoskeleton and also aids in bodily functions
Foods - avocado, bell pepper (orange and red), broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrot, cilantro, collards, corn (yellow), corn meal, dandelion greens, egg yolk, grape leaves, lettuce (romaine), papaya, parsley, peas, raspberry, spirulina

Just remember, you can't completely alter a hermit crab's color just by feeding... You can enhance it, however.
Last edited by Gab33 on Sat May 07, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 07, 2011 5:21 pm

UVB lighting seems to helpful in letting young Es keep their blue coloring longer, and in giving PPs a bluish tint. I adopted 5 PPs from another member who used a UVB light, and compared to my crew they had these these amazingly blue highlights.

Coconut can also help bring out bluish undertones in crabs, but I think they have to already have that genetic trait for it to work. My darkest and oldest (in age) crabs have all gotten noticeably more blue and purple since coming home from the store, and I feed coconut at every meal.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

thysmittenkitten

Post by thysmittenkitten » Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Some of my PPs have gone very blue in streaks on their legs with the undersides remaining peach. I feed a variety of store bought foods, but I have noticed that the color really started to change after I added a uvb fluorescent that runs during the day. Obviously this is not a fail safe as I have other crabs who've remained a lovely peach/Orange/red/burgundy/etc. I really don't care what color they are though, as long as they're healthy!
*~Maria Elena~*

i've been misunderstood for all of my life. *Neil Diamond*

Topic author
Actionizer

Post by Actionizer » Sun May 08, 2011 9:32 am

Thank you all. The reason i made this post is because 3 of my E's have a Blue undershade and i LOVE the way it looks! I just dont want them to lose it, maybe even get more blue!

Also, I Feed them fresh coconut everyday as well. I Actually buy coconuts from windixie and break them in half and use the half as a food dish. Although i dont take the coconut out, all i do is break it! It looks very pleasing and they LOVE it!!v It also works as a water dish XD