The Things They Eat

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
BandCadet1

The Things They Eat

Post by BandCadet1 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:45 pm

So, walking through the Pet store the other day, I wandered down the bird aisle looking for the cuttlebone and happened across some rabbit food. I started looking at the ingredients and this fruit mix I found was dried cranberry, dried apple, dried raisin, and dried blueberry. Another one I found was just chunks of carrot and coconut. I decided, since there wasn't anything else listed on the ingredients list, I would get some and let them try it. They love it. The carrot I cut into smaller pieces because they are big pieces but they love it. I now keep my eye on all kinds of pet food and not just stuff that says "hermit crab" on it. I have noticed it has a lot of preservatives and other things that I can't even pronounce where as the rabbit food is exactly what it says it is.

What do you think about feeding them rabbit food?
Becky

4 PP's: Tom, Jerry, Yogi, and Boo-Boo

Crabbing since March 2011

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 pm

As long as there are no additives or Preservatives, any type of dried fruit or veggie is great for them. :)

While things like that can be found in pet stores in the bird or rodent isles, they can also be found in grocery stores and health stores as well, probably for a lot less. (Anything labeled pet seems to cost at least twice as much.) I always get dried apple and pineapple, packaged for kids lunches, where the applesauce is.

You should check the fish and reptile isles for dried proteins as well. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Fri May 13, 2011 2:04 pm

oh yeah! ive never actually thought of rabbit food before. you can find dried crickets in the reptile isle. dried shrimp in the fish isle. moss is the anphibian/turtle section. all the good stuff is ussually nowhere near the hermit crab stuff :P :lol:

Just as long as the stuff is on the safe food list, and doesnt have any of those crazy preservatives you can even pronounce, Then they are OK for the crabs :)

and wodesorel is right, it probably does cost twice as much if it's labeled pet. somethings you probably have to get from the pet aisle, (like crickets.) but if you can find it elsewhere, as long as it too doesnt have and crazy things in it, it's probably cheaper and just as good :)
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)