What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2011~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

zippity

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by zippity » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Bueller? .......................Bueller?

Tonight's dinner is fresh uncooked minnows, fresh blueberries, and frsh peaches.

spotsy99

Post by spotsy99 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:38 pm

I just put it down for the night...

Fresh - blackberries, blackberry leaves, part of a pear, maple leaves, oak leaves, crab apple bark, queen anne's lace flower, clover blossoms

From HCP - freeze dried bloodworms, ground oyster shell, and the dirt looking stuff (I can't remember the name of it :oops: )
Denise
******************************************************************************************
1 Husband - Gary, 1 Horse - Cash, 1 Cat - Midnight,
7 PPs

Vasliki

Post by Vasliki » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Tonight is green beans (steamed), 1 steamed shrimp (tail on), blueberries and half a hard-boiled egg.
2 years * 55 gallon bow front
---------------------------
~Apollo (pic)~*~ Little One (pic)~*~ Blue ~*~ Soup (pic)~*~ Peach (pic)~*~ Citizen Snips (pic)~*~ Zoidberg (pic)~*~ Clamps (pic) ~ Coral (RIP) ~ Red (RIP) ~

McClintockRN

Post by McClintockRN » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 am

pretty new to hermit keeping but all 6 of my PPs LOVE crushed UNSALTED peanuts and eggshell (chicken) ground with mortar & pestle. the absolutely love the "hermit crab patch" sampler combo of "surf-n-turf", "crushed oyster shell", "mineral supplement" & "soil diet supplement". i have tried fruit bits (mango, banana) but they always go to waste. at the moment they seem to be craving the protein and calcium. i may try the whole coconut next and see if that gets a reaction. my largest PP (Spanky) is a voracious eater. I know that they are eating well because their poops are increasing proportionately and the color of their poop is matching the food that they are eating.

this is such a great website. i am learning sooo much and my hermies thank you all.
-Kim

McClintockRN

Post by McClintockRN » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 am

forgot to mention... they also LOVE dried oak and chestnut leaves. one of the little guys snacked on a "Rose of Sharon" flower for a day and then abandoned it. (none of these trees are sprayed with pesticides or any chemicals). also, tried hard boiled egg - not a big favorite. i think these little guys definitely are individuals when it comes to taste. all of my hermies love the peanut/chicken egg shell combo, but they each pick at the 'hermit crab patch sampler combo' at different rates. they seem to go for the foods that their bodies need at the time.

eloise13

Post by eloise13 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:34 am

Carrot, sprouts, Nasturtium flowers (These are taking over my garden! thank god I found a use for them.) and olive oil.
I own 11 Aussies! my photography
Micro: Baby
Teenies: Friday, Jeffery, Molly, Nero, Louis
Smalls: Edward, Andromeda
Mediums: Beetle, Bug
Large: Big boy.

rawrxcrayola

Post by rawrxcrayola » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:03 am

tonight my little crabbies have a nice over ripe strawberry, steamed broccoli, and my newley created fruit and nut butter!

hermit crab fruit, nut, seed, veggie... whatever you want butter!

small handfull of peanuts
a few almonds
few pinches of sesamie seeds
a few more pinches of flax seed
sunflower seeds
dried bananna chips
dried carrot pieces
dried coconut flaxes
dried papaya
rasins
sea salt
+ dechlorinated watter, could also use evoo i supose...

they also have a dish of their usual food i have mix up for them.
=D

eloise13

Post by eloise13 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:09 am

Prawn heads, corn, seaweed, coconut, and millet.
I own 11 Aussies! my photography
Micro: Baby
Teenies: Friday, Jeffery, Molly, Nero, Louis
Smalls: Edward, Andromeda
Mediums: Beetle, Bug
Large: Big boy.

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:17 am

Last nights meal was peanut butter, wheat germ, oats, raisins, dried veggie meal, crushed eggshells, worm castings, calcium supplement, and dried pink rose petals. :D
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Tonight's meal is a delicious salad made of of spinach and other greens, freeze-dried grasshoppers, green apple slices, crushed oyster shells, THCP mineral supplement, and dried salmon. :D

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Tonight my crabs are dining on raw beef, raw chicken, strawberry tops, dried veggie meal, THCP mineral supplement, and worm castings. All spinkled with calcium. :D
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Tonight we have a crabby salad, crafted especially to their liking! :D The lettuce is a healthy baby spring mix, topped with delicious and healthy things like blackberries, grapes, rose petals, bladderwrack, goji berries, coconut flakes, bee pollen, and river shrimp! :P

coxbrea151

Post by coxbrea151 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Mine are having this mixture:
Cheerios
bioled egg
scrambled egg
cucumber
grapes
coconut
vegetable oil
Hello, my name is Brea.
I have 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 5 Jack Dempsy chichlids, 8 white clouds, 1 plecotumous (bristle-nosed, female), 3 PP hermit crabs,and one syrian hamster.
Hermit crabs; Chee (female), Vango (male), and Kai (male).

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:53 am

Tonight, we have a staple mixture I have been trying to offer more often (THCP mineral mix, worm castings, oyster shell, crushed brine shrimp, Himalayan pink salt) as well as two fresh fruit options: dragon fruit and papaya! :D

It's my first time trying the crabbies on dragon fruit, so I'm eager to report how they like it. :) They haven't had papaya in a while, either, so I know a few of them will be stuffing their faces later. :lol:

Fateless

Post by Fateless » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Fresh coconut, apple, some crushed nuts (which they adore), some egg shells and a small shrimp.
My newest adopted crab is eating like crazy, he just molted so I think he's just happy about the delicious food.
Newish owner of Hermit crabs: Thallium (Lium for short), Char, Ninijae(was peekaboo), & 2 no names
90 gallon crabitat. I'm new to this ^_^