What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2012~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Rocky

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Rocky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Tonight I tried some things for the first time, asparagus, and freeze dried fruit!
I didn't know fruit could be freeze dried :shock: They're these little cheap snack baggies by Disney called 'Fruit Crisps' And apparently they're 100% fruit, no presevatives, no sugar :D They kind of feel like a sponge. I gave the hermies pineapple, strawberry and banana tonight :)
They also got cucumber, carrot, coconut, calcium powder (mostly powdered eggshells, oyster shell and cuttlebone) Spirinula powder, bladderwrack flakes, and Caribbean Cabana and Vitafoods-post molt by Kilimanjaro :) They LOVE his stuff! And some mealworms again, because they were a huge hit before as well!

(I wimped out, fortunately for the crabs, some mealies had died and they got those ones :oops: on the search for a small deep container for mealies! )
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

IceSpark

Post by IceSpark » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Tonight the crabby "kids" and I are having stir fry.

Straw mushrooms, baby carrots, water chestnuts and beef. Theirs is getting some cuttlebone instead of rice noodles.

These are some new foods for them - hope they like it! :)

Lady_Bubbles

Post by Lady_Bubbles » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:23 am

New favorite! Avocado and bloodworms... Not my cup of tea! But they cleaned the dish <3
Tonight it's bloodworms, and honey drizzled krill. Hope they enjoy it, though I think I can hear them attacking the dish already, lol!

Lady_Bubbles

Post by Lady_Bubbles » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:53 am

Lady_Bubbles wrote:New favorite! Avocado and bloodworms... Not my cup of tea! But they cleaned the dish <3
Tonight it's bloodworms, and honey drizzled krill. Hope they enjoy it, though I think I can hear them attacking the dish already, lol!
Also, wanted to add that tomorrow will be eggshells, fruit (apple or orange), chicken and if I still have some left, peanuts! Spoiled rotten I say. :love5:

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:40 pm

They loved the mealworms so much that I just threw a few large spoonfuls of them into a container.. it was totally cleaned out by morning!

Besides the wiggly nummies, they got shrimp, mango, apple, asparagus, freeze dried bloodworms, crickets and krill, protien mix and calcium powder :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 pm

I got my hands on some maple bark and leaves and they had a blast with them :)
So, maple goodies, dried peppers, strawberry and pineapple, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, algae powder, spirinula powder and some calcium stuff :) and of course their nightly bowl of mealworms (which they clean out every night)

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Phew! Long menu tonight. I got some really got peppers for the crabs tonight and some weird orange thing called pesimim(?) I also loaded up the dehydrator with the orange thing, mango, peppers, strawberry and tomato :D They really love the peppers and seeds, but the darn thing squirted me in the eye. :cussing:
Anyways, enough blibber blabber Rocky, what's on today's menu..
Mango, hot peppers (and tops!) strawberry, tomato, beans, broccoli, pepper seeds, pesimim, and a protien/calcium powder :D

Five minutes after putting the bowl in Elmo and Merry check it out

10 points to anyone who noticed my new mini Arc De Triomphe :D

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:11 am

Persimmon : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon
Mine LOVED the hachiya type. They are really hard to find outside of the winter season though!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 am

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for that :)

GudaHermitCrab

Post by GudaHermitCrab » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Tonight it's just applesauce to see how they like it. But last night was carrots, peas and pea pods, and broccoli. :)
Proud owner of 3 Purple Pinchers: Guda (2 molts), Kermit, Sebastian (1 molt)

~Crabby since September 2011~

GudaHermitCrab

Post by GudaHermitCrab » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:12 pm

RockyGurly wrote:Phew! Long menu tonight. I got some really got peppers for the crabs tonight and some weird orange thing called pesimim(?) I also loaded up the dehydrator with the orange thing, mango, peppers, strawberry and tomato :D They really love the peppers and seeds, but the darn thing squirted me in the eye. :cussing:
Anyways, enough blibber blabber Rocky, what's on today's menu..
Mango, hot peppers (and tops!) strawberry, tomato, beans, broccoli, pepper seeds, pesimim, and a protien/calcium powder :D

Five minutes after putting the bowl in Elmo and Merry check it out

10 points to anyone who noticed my new mini Arc De Triomphe :D

I didn't know they could have peppers. Darn we just had some peppers the other day but used them all!
Proud owner of 3 Purple Pinchers: Guda (2 molts), Kermit, Sebastian (1 molt)

~Crabby since September 2011~

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 pm

They love hot peppers :D

calabashcuties

Post by calabashcuties » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Red, yellow, & orange bell pepper. Boiled whole eggshell (they love to peel off the inner membrane), baby carrots, & Surf n Turf. I put some Tilapia in my tank recently and even though there were plenty to go around I watched a tug of war match for one tasty filet. Definitely a hot item.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Turnip sprouts from thinning out the garden today. There was a colander full of them, so I rinsed them and put them on top of the moss pit for the PPs. They are going insanely bonkers for them! :lol: There must be fifteen crabs trying to eat in the same spot. It's either the sprouts or the location, can't tell which.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:07 am

Been feeding a ton of flowers lately (along with everything else). Tonight they got fresh apples, fresh kale, walnuts, fresh fish, coconut, bee pollen, deer meat, THCP toast, lilac flowers, wild rose flowers, crab apple flowers, dandelion flowers, and honeysuckle flowers/leaves/wood. :D Some stuff is in the dish, but I placed most of the flowers and nuts in different locations in the tank. I like to make them sniff out all the different stuff. :) And it's fun to watch how "excited" they get when they find a treat! :D
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish