Great Recipe.....my little guys love it.

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hambone

Great Recipe.....my little guys love it.

Post by Hambone » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:50 am

Here is a good recipe for regular crab food which satisfies the crabs' taste preference and need for calcium to build a strong exoskeleton.

2 large cuttlebones
1 cup dried rice (any non-instant type)
1 cup unflavored oatmeal
1 tsp. sea salt. NO table salt!
1/4 cup dried plankton, krill or any other very stinky dried sealife
2 tablespoons spirulina powder (you can buy this at almost any health food store)

Break up the cuttlebones with your hands into nickel-or-dime-size chunks. Using an electric coffee grinder, powder them. Sometimes they get stuck in the blades -- if so, stop grinding and poke them out of the blades and continue grinding. Take all remaining ingredients except the salt and grind them into a sort of lumpy powder fine powder. The krill won't completely grind so just get it to where you can stand it. :lol: Add in the salt and any other things you think your crabs will enjoy, such as whole grain cereals, wheat germ, ground nuts, seeds, etc. Mine like oak leaves that I've poured boiling water over to clean. I put about 15 leaves in and grind them up.

Since this is VERY high in calcium (two whole large cuttlebones are a double-whammy), it is an excellent food for your crabs who are exhibiting molting signs or those who have recently molted. It does not have much carotene though so please add in a source of it, like carrot flakes or some raw carrot.
Just because I have crabs does not mean we can't be friends.

Breeezy

Re: Great Recipe.....my little guys love it.

Post by Breeezy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Yummy! :crabbigsmile:
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)