Calcium for Molting Crab.

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
TheNewComer

Calcium for Molting Crab.

Post by TheNewComer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:24 am

Hi,

I am buying calcium for my hermit crab, hes molting and I am looking for places to buy. Someone from another section suggested cutterbone, and I dont know where to get it. And what can I feed him during this? Can I give him straight calcium and water and thats it? Also I was wondering what calcium powder is safe for them.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Re: Calcium for Molting Crab.

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:04 am

I supplement their diet with all living things calcium powder they love to eat it and it is safe.
2 Purple Pinchers and 2 Ecuadorians in a 20g long.

Topic author
TheNewComer

Post by TheNewComer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:55 am

Okay, thanks. I will be buying it tomorrow.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:36 am

If your hermit crab has buried and is molting, the most important thing is for him to eat his exoskeleton after he sheds it. When he reemerges, offer high protein foods, as well as calcium sources such as crickets, dried shrimp, fish, bits of unseasoned meat, boiled egg, eggshell, and raw organic honey. Cuttlebones are usually found by the bird supplies and are inexpensive. You can also offer smashed shells for them to pick at.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:23 pm

soilentgringa wrote:You can also offer smashed shells for them to pick at.
Question.. Does it matter the type of shell?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:32 pm

CrabbyEmerson wrote: Question.. Does it matter the type of shell?
You can use oyster or mussel or really any shells that your crabs can't wear. I wouldn't destroy any really nice shells but ones that are already crumbly or unusable. Just put them in a ziploc bag, wrap it in a towel, set it on the floor, and smash it to death with a hammer or rolling pin. Great way to work out some unresolved aggressions lol.

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:01 pm

You can find cuttlebone in the bird section of the pet store, during a hermit crabs molt they eat their exoskeleton but when he comes up you can give him some cuttlebone & other nutritious foods :) Hope this helped.
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Egg shells are another good source of calcium. Next time you scramble or fry eggs, give them a half-shell with some raw albumin (egg white) in it and watch them go to town! After they've eaten the albumin, they'll spend days picking bits of the shell to consume.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:30 pm

soilentgringa wrote: You can use oyster or mussel or really any shells that your crabs can't wear. I wouldn't destroy any really nice shells but ones that are already crumbly or unusable. Just put them in a ziploc bag, wrap it in a towel, set it on the floor, and smash it to death with a hammer or rolling pin. Great way to work out some unresolved aggressions lol.

Okay, great! I bought a couple bags of shells from a discount store the other day and there were some snail shells too broken for the crabs to use, so I guess I'll smash those up for calcium! Thanks.