What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2015~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

CrabbyEmerson

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Flax seed, sunflower seeds, grape tomato, dried mango, blackberry, oats, and dried shrimp. Everything is new to the crabs except the shrimp :D

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 am

The crabs dined luxuriously tonight :D
Freeze-dried banana, rolled oats, dried mealworms, dried shrimp, raspberries, blueberries, & a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
And as a very special treat - a small dish of pineapple coconut milk :wink:

lmw142

Post by lmw142 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Tonight the crabs are eating a mix of dried flowers (calendula, hibiscus, apple blossoms), carrot and carrot tops, ten grain mix, goji berries, and krill.

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Ryry wrote:I shared my breakfast this morning with my crabs. To their great pleasure. I had an omelet with green peppers and ham- I took out a bit before I added my paper and what not. The crabs were in love. My big Indo sat in the food dish for close to an hour stuffing her face! Image
The race to the food dish!
This is such an awesome picture... Right now I only dream of being a good enough crab chef that they would run like that...

Do they really like to have all of their food pulverized? I see that a lot of folks set their foods up that way, just wondering if that works better than offering whole foods.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Kleinerhejhog wrote: This is such an awesome picture... Right now I only dream of being a good enough crab chef that they would run like that...

Do they really like to have all of their food pulverized? I see that a lot of folks set their foods up that way, just wondering if that works better than offering whole foods.
They like to pick at foods, tear them apart, and drag them off to hide. It just depends on the item. We offer smashed bones and chunks of fruit as well as boiled eggs in the shell (cut in half), and they love to pick and pinch.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:32 am

Dried shrimp, mulberries, and grape tomato. And I filled their calcium dish with a mix of crushed cuttlebone and clam shell.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Raw ground turkey, 1 red kidney bean (cooked), 2 black beans (cooked). Jazzing up the standard dry mix is white clover flowers, chia seeds and ground sesame seeds.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Cumba

Post by Cumba » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:05 am

FMR hermit crab TREAT, THCP's mineral powder, baby kale and arugula seasoned with a walnut.

In the other tank, it's honey calcium, basil, and homemade protein supplement.

In the third tank, it's calcium powders.

No, I don't have favorites, I just alternate feast days.

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:35 am

Wet dish:
Sockeye Salmon
Frozen (thawed) Bloodworms
Pansy
Carrot
Strawberry
boiled egg

Dry dish:
Bee Pollen
Organic Worm Castings
assorted ground, raw nuts
freeze dried meal worms and grasshopper bits
dried hibiscus
Dried peony

also half of an egg shell (organic, brown from a friend's hens)
a few dried maple leaves
birch bark
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 am

^^ how many crabs is that for? I'd love to give mine a super extensive mix daily but with only 3 stuff goes bad quick

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:52 pm

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:Image ^^ how many crabs is that for? I'd love to give mine a super extensive mix daily but with only 3 stuff goes bad quick Image
You just want to add very small amounts of many different things, rather than larger amounts of only a couple things. Having a separate dry dish helps to keep from wasting so much too because it'll last longer than if you've put fresh foods in with it.

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:56 pm

I've discovered that a worm poop dish is a constant must lol. I also scored a coffee grinder for $4.50 at goodwill so I'm going to use that to mash some stuff and make some mixes so it's easier for me to feed in moderation.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:36 pm

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:Image ^^ how many crabs is that for? I'd love to give mine a super extensive mix daily but with only 3 stuff goes bad quick Image

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs Image

6 crabs. But very small amounts of each thing. The dry stuff is litterally like less than 1/8 of a teaspoon. I lveave it in for two days generally, unless it looks bad (some thing go bad faster than others). I just like to make sure they have a large variety everyday so they can choose what their bodies need. :)
An Alaskan Crabber!

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:41 pm

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:I've discovered that a worm poop dish is a constant must lol. I also scored a coffee grinder for $4.50 at goodwill so I'm going to use that to mash some stuff and make some mixes so it's easier for me to feed in moderation.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs Image
Nice score on the coffee grinder! I have a Mortar and Pestel,and a coffee grinder for dry stuff and a mini food processor (only holds two cups MAX) for wet. I also make batches of stuff, then put it in mini ice cube trays to freeze then package and label to use throughout the year. The salmon from last night was scraps from our recent fishing trip. I cut up the scraps to "serving" size then freeze spread out on a cookie sheet then bag them up. WE do a lot of fishing in the summer to stock out freezer for winter and the crabs get LOTS of tidbits from our bounty ;)
An Alaskan Crabber!

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:59 pm

It's been a while since the crabbies have had fresh foods (been relying on dried and powders) so today we have some not so fresh strawberries (they're past the point we will eat them) and some different fishy powder mixes, some coconut banana mix, and some bugs!

4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz