Fresh caught fish for crabs

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Momadopolis

Fresh caught fish for crabs

Post by Momadopolis » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:34 pm

My husband is out fishing and caught some bluegill. Is it ok to give it straight to the crabs as is or does it need cleaned. Even if it is safe for them I'm not sure I'd want to put it in their enclosure. The fish aren't very big. About 5 inches max, so not so large it would overwhelm the aquarium. Any advice is appreciated, especially if you've fed any to your crabs. Thanks guys!
18 PP..Doc, Ollie (Elephant), 8 Ball, Squidward, Plankton, Jägerbomb, Al Capone, Gremlin, Lila, Prozac, Paxil, Rufus, King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley.
3 E's..
Oh, and 3 kids and a Husband.

RIP Krabby Patty and Baby

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Fresh caught fish for crabs

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:46 pm

I've done pieces of whole frozen fish before, and they go nuts for them. You can give them the head, tail or insides of a fish you're prepping so that nothing goes to waste, instead of giving them valuable fillets.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Momadopolis

Post by Momadopolis » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks! My husband is actually the only one who eats fish. He'll be the one cleaning, cutting etc. He goes fishing for catfish but caught a couple little bluegill and wanted to know how to give some to the crabs. He wants to toss one in with them but I don't think they'd eat it all before it went bad.
18 PP..Doc, Ollie (Elephant), 8 Ball, Squidward, Plankton, Jägerbomb, Al Capone, Gremlin, Lila, Prozac, Paxil, Rufus, King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley.
3 E's..

LittleCrabby12712

Post by LittleCrabby12712 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:09 pm

You could always cook it and then freeze it into littler pieces, or just freeze it in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud owner of 6 PPs and the new addition of 2 E's!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:19 pm

My colony of 60 could probably do one of those in two to three days, which is how long I leave meat in before it makes the room smell. All he needs to do is chop it into pieces and he can freeze the rest. You know how much yours eat in a night, aim for that. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Momadopolis

Post by Momadopolis » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:15 pm

He's going to have to freeze most of it. He keeps texting me saying he's caught bluegill, rock bass and large mouth bass FOR THE CRABS! He hasn't even gotten any catfish because he's too caught up in getting fish for the crabs.
3 E's..

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:38 pm

LOL too funny.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:29 pm

We stock our freezer every summer for us humans. We get mostly salmon, but also some trout, grayling, cod, rockfish dolly vardin, arctic char.

I take trimmings, including bones, fins, some organs and meat and cut it into portion sizes then spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until solid. Then baggie it all up, label and keep it in the freezer :) We had good food for them all year long. BE SURE to do the cookie tray thing... hubby forgot to once and I have a huge BLOCK of fish bits that I have to chisel and saw apart LOL
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18

Topic author
Momadopolis

Post by Momadopolis » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:10 pm

The cookie sheet is a good idea! I wish I'd have thought of that before he put the cut up pieces in a baggie and froze it.
3 E's..