Trying out fresh foods...

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Krusty2015

Trying out fresh foods...

Post by Krusty2015 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:06 pm

I offered my pp some scrambled eggs and a few pieces of tomoto I diced up finely. He refused the tomoto and ate a few bites of the egg Then the little stinker decided to eat the dried shrimp i put in there. Is this like a trial and error process figuring out what he likes?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

purpleperson

Re: Trying out fresh foods...

Post by purpleperson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 pm

I found that for me it was some trial and error, but also one night something could be their favourite and the next time they might not touch it until last. I find dried shrimp is always one of the first things to go, though my crabs really like other things too for example: apples both dried and fresh, bell peppers, raw fish, romaine lettuce and grapes are eaten 9 times out of 10 when I give it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan H

Post by Dan H » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Apples, grapes, lettuce, *shrimp* (dried or otherwise, or even just the tails) are favorites with my crabs. Recently put a cuttlebone in the tank with the rebuild I did and found out that they really like those as well. I, too, like to try random things to see what sticks but it really is a trial and error kind of thing.

My problem (though its not really much of one) is that I'm never sure how much I should actually feed them. I basically try to put a variety across the shell I use for feeding and hope they find something to nom on. Seems like the food isn't touched sometimes but I always try to remember these guys are scavengers for all I know they could've filled up on moss, cuttlebone, wood, and whatever food they hid from the day before in the cocohut :lol:

With grapes I just halfed them and noticed that Sheldon would sit on top of the grape and pick at it pretty well. I try not to cut fresh stuff up too much as they seem to like it more in chunks. I would surmise it is a correlation between the crabs and their natural diet. Good luck getting a regime set up with the little one!

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:08 am

Dan H wrote:My problem (though its not really much of one) is that I'm never sure how much I should actually feed them.
Same "problem" here lol. I usually end up giving them too much, like I'm feeding 14 crabs instead of 4. Image at least I know they're not going hungry..

Topic author
Krusty2015

Post by Krusty2015 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:16 am

Wouldn't you know the little stinker decided to eat the egg last night after I went to bed and he got some pieces of egg everywhere! Can't wait to try out more fresh foods! Thanks for the advice and help everyone!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:35 am

All crabs are different and like different stuff. For example, out of the three crabs that are on the surface in my tank right now, exactly 0 like shredded coconut. Which is usually like Hermit Crack. But they love shrimp. Go figure.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 am

I buy fresh fish at the seafood counter. Tiny bits of several things. Then I chop it up and freeze it. I store each one in its own mason jar in my freezer and rotate what they get. By rotating they have something different each night and they love it all. It melts within 45 minutes of putting it in and since they get fed at around 7:45pm before I put my kids to bed it is thawed by the time they are usually ready to eat. Every so often they won't finish something they always have before but I just figure they filled up on other stuff.

Each night mine get 7 things in a special shell dish I have from DeliciouslyCrabby on etsy. Then the fish in a shell and then a little dish I use to try out new things or to put in larger foods/meals. DeliciouslyCrabby makes little meals. The kabobs come with greens of some sort and a "dip". So I will put a little bit of each part in the little blue dish. I marked one of the shells underneath on the dish so I know where to start and I write down what I feed them. Since I know what is in each part I can keep track of how well they eat certain things. It has really helped me figure out what they like the most. The second, smaller dish from DeliciouslyCrabby I use for her different honey mixes. They usually only get one or two but the night the pic below was taken I was making it up to them about being in a tub for 2 days while I worked on the tank.

DeliciouslyCrabby is my absolute favorite store and I have actually come up with ideas for the owner and she makes them and adds them to her store. sLynnje (the new owner) was responsible for almost everything in CocoaCrabbies and the owner decided it had grown past where she could handle it. Since she couldn't just hand her the store because of how etsy works Lynnie had to start her own with all the stuff In it. She is pretty awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Dan H

Post by Dan H » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:05 pm

That is a cool feeding setup you got there Kelly, I like the dish idea. Good find!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks! I like that I can monitor their eating. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Tonight I'm trying something I've never tried before and I've never seen it on the HCA before! :)

They're getting fresh wild deer meat and fresh wild deer liver (along with some other things!) As soon as I put it in the tank their antennas started twitching like crazy!! We'll see how it goes. :)

Dan H

Post by Dan H » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 pm

purpleperson wrote:Tonight I'm trying something I've never tried before and I've never seen it on the HCA before! :)

They're getting fresh wild deer meat and fresh wild deer liver (along with some other things!) As soon as I put it in the tank their antennas started twitching like crazy!! We'll see how it goes. :)

Good luck with that, sounds like you've already got their attention :lol:

They seem to respond quite well to any kind of raw meat, though I can't say I've tried deer meat before! Bones are also a great addition. (as long as they don't have seasonings on them)

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Yes, while "preparing" (I don't want to offend anyone!) my deer I saved some fresh rib bones and shoulder blades for the tank too, I am just letting them dry out before adding them.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 pm

purpleperson wrote:Tonight I'm trying something I've never tried before and I've never seen it on the HCA before! :)

Is it deer season already?

Sounds great!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Is it deer season already?

Sounds great!

It is where I am! so far it's been a hit.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:30 pm

That's cool. It doesn't open till November in Texas! My mom's boyfriend is always chomping at the bit.