What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2013~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Lia_143

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Lia_143 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Tonight I made scrambled egg whites with broccoli, corn, and shrimp served inside an egg shell ;-) For dessert: mashed papaya and mango with honey drizzle and to snack on, cuttlebone and flower petals :grin:
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not.” ~Dr. Seuss
My family consists of one crazy husband, 2 PPs, and 1 E...

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:15 am

Today is treat day!

Appitizer: The cheese of the cow, and the nut of the almond plant.
Main Meal: Leftover shrimp with tails and mixed veggies
Dessert: Mixed tropic fruit cube with honey.

Fruit Cube:
Take a icecube tray, cut up some mango, pineapple and papaya. Place it in the try. Top with fruit puree (or unsweeted mixed fruit sauce). I serve half to 1/4 of a cub every few days.
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

speeddemonbk

Post by speeddemonbk » Thu May 02, 2013 12:11 am

My hermies are having some fruits and veggies, but their main course climbed out of the food bowl! They may have a pet worm now (not from outside)...

Tomorrow I will give them a fish head from the fish we caught today...they LOVE to pick out and eat the eyes :shock: Kind of gross, but they really, really, like it. Might give them the bones to pick off of too if I'm feeling energetic. Boy does it stink after a few hours though.
12 Purple Pinchers
2 Ecuadorian Popcicles
5 Bettas
3 Fire Belly Toads
2 Dogs
Hermie Site: http://coloradocrabby.webs.com/

MustLoveShells

Post by MustLoveShells » Sun May 05, 2013 9:55 am

Today my lot are getting cherry tomato, cauliflower, babycorn, blackberry, bladderwrack, mussel and walnut pieces garnished with oyster shell and a little hemp seed oil, with a dessert of hibiscus powder popcorn.

Yesterday they had a "crabby cake" with their meal that was a blend of sweet potato, hibiscus flower, silkworm pupae, cricket, fish, carrot, apple, coconut, bee pollen, honey, cuttlebone and a seed/nut mix. It had been blended into a puree then frozen but defrosted as a sponge cake texture. :lol:
Crabby Cravings UK hermit crab shop: http://www.crabbycravings.co.uk
9 Coenobita violascens: Rupert, Sky, Vandal, Oliver, Ninja, Valentina, Psycho, Ellimere
7 Coenobita rugosus: Elf, Gimli, Kili and Fili, Panda, Lilo
4Coenobita brevimanus Smartie, Peanut,Unnamed
1 Coenobita clypeatus: Tara

lefty

Post by lefty » Sun May 05, 2013 1:22 pm

• extra protein nite for newbies from lhc
    scrambled eggs with shells
    [chia seeds
    nutritional yeast
    fresh cilantro and macro algea( from salt-water refugium)
    tossed in sesame oil and lined with crikets yum!!!
    /list]
    separate dish there fav hcp" kibble"
10 pp.'s ,5 E's, 2Violas, 4 strawshttp://s1330.photobucket.com/user/aliso ... y/library/
i respect all choices, even the ones that are not mine!( that is to remind ME)

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Today was new recipe day

Course one: Escargot boiled and then served as is.

Course two: Mealworm Surprise. I mixed dried mealworms, mixed veggies, and some dried plankton together.

Corse three: Crabby Fruit Soufle. I made a crab safe soffle with mixed fruit. I served it with honey drizzled on top.

Snacks for the night: Millet Mix (honey, millet, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and popcorn).

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Mine are having a taste of summer,
Pineapple, mango, coconut, eggshell, salmon, strawberry, strawberry leaves, blueberry leaves, dandelion, and rose petals.

frog

Post by frog » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 am

I made them a fruit salad made with mixed fruit in a can (I washed out the sugary syrup; diced peaches, pears, grapes, and pineapple with fresh mashed apple), a salad (celery tops, tomato, carrots, and corn with tomato juice "dressing", crackers and apples with peanut butter, tuna, shrimp (no butter; tail and exoskeleton included), crushed almonds, and egg shells. (And dandelions which were added later)
Last edited by frog on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
55 gallon tank - 6 Caribbean hermit crabs

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Fri May 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Wow, haha my dish never looks that nice, partly because I use bottle caps as a disposable food dish, haha but they look like they sure are enjoying. This is random, but what sand do you use laylicorn? It looks so pretty compared to the dark play sand I have :)
My guys are having strawberry, raspberry, dried banana, turkey, salmon, and egg, and carrot. And as a once in a maybe never again treat, I gave them a captain crunch berry >_<

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Today was the food festival in my crab tank. 4 food dishes with different foods. I have one crab at each shell dish right now. They are taking turns eating from all.

Dish 1: Crab Salad - Fresh mixed greens with carrots and cucumber. I made a crab safe dressing with honey, raspberries (crushed) and some apple sauce.
Dish 2: Meat Mix - Freeze dried mealworms, freeze dried plankton, leftover steak mixed with veggie pulp from my juicer.
Dish 3: Apple Pecan Crumble - I mixed minced mix apples, crushed pecans, some almonds that are crushed and some agave nectar mixed into honey. I mixed it with some oats and baked in the oven for 5 minutes under broil. I let it cool slightly and placed in the tank when slightly warm.
Dish 4: Fruit Salad - Mixed fruit with a carrot juice and pineapple juice sauce.

Libbster

Post by Libbster » Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Where do you find all this food? (Like chicken heart) mine got basil, mealworms and shrimp and cuttlebone.
4 hermit crabs in a 20g Tall tank:
Mitchell, Feelix, Charlotte, and Google
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TinyStarrable?feature=mhee
RIP Sandy, Ralph, Aaron, Lucky, Shelly, Hermie, Buddy

Libbster

Post by Libbster » Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Laylicorn wrote:Image
Today's meal took over an hour to prepare. I made them a fruit salad made with mixed fruit in a can (I washed out the sugary syrup; diced peaches, pears, grapes, and pineapple with fresh mashed apple), a salad (celery tops, tomato, carrots, and corn with tomato juice "dressing", crackers and apples with peanut butter, tuna, shrimp (no butter; tail and exoskeleton included), crushed almonds, and egg shells. (And dandelions which were added later)
That is a lot of food to fed them. How big is your crabby family?

Libbster

Post by Libbster » Tue May 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Tonight they got watermelon, a bit of eggshell, a bit of tuna fish, and a bit of Clementine.Image

lefty

Post by lefty » Wed May 15, 2013 3:15 pm

kiwi and krill night with pumpkin and sesame seeds,coconut flakes ,deer meat. bowl 2 hcp ,and freeze dried ocean plankton. they also got the shell from one of my fire shrimp sheddings which is something they always finish. i read "sun dried shrimp " in someones post , was it purchased this way or may i defrost some stuff and do this ? how would one do this ? @"
10 pp.'s ,5 E's, 2Violas, 4 strawshttp://s1330.photobucket.com/user/aliso ... y/library/
i respect all choices, even the ones that are not mine!( that is to remind ME)

hermilove

Post by hermilove » Wed May 15, 2013 4:30 pm

alison wrote:kiwi and krill night with pumpkin and sesame seeds,coconut flakes ,deer meat. bowl 2 hcp ,and freeze dried ocean plankton. they also got the shell from one of my fire shrimp sheddings which is something they always finish. i read "sun dried shrimp " in someones post , was it purchased this way or may i defrost some stuff and do this ? how would one do this ? @"
They sell containers of Sun dried shrimp at pet stores. It can come in a pretty big container that will last awhile. :)
Lovely PPs and Little Es