What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2017~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Da_Stos208

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Da_Stos208 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 am

I thought Snappy was down for a molt, but only a week or so after she disappeared I caught her snacking on some dried fig!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 pm

I thought my crab Timon was down for a molt too but I woke up yesterday morning and found he had resurfaced.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm going to be trying out dried rose petals for the first time. My mother in law grows roses without any pesticides and natural fertilizer and they are still in bloom. We were over last night and I snagged a few flowers on the way back to the car (shame on me lol) I dried them in the oven on low an they made the house smell great lol! I think I'll add them to my leaf litter.
Does anyone know if they will eat them fresh too? Can they have the hips as well? These are red roses but I'm also wondering if color makes a difference. Next time I'll snag some pink and yellow and see which they prefer!
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:I'm going to be trying out dried rose petals for the first time. My mother in law grows roses without any pesticides and natural fertilizer and they are still in bloom. We were over last night and I snagged a few flowers on the way back to the car (shame on me lol) I dried them in the oven on low an they made the house smell great lol! I think I'll add them to my leaf litter.
Does anyone know if they will eat them fresh too? Can they have the hips as well? These are red roses but I'm also wondering if color makes a difference. Next time I'll snag some pink and yellow and see which they prefer!
Yes- as long as it is organic, they can eat the entire rose bush if they want. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

jclee

Post by jclee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 pm

My pet sitter has called the food stash an apothecary. It is a combination of items that I can get at the grocery store, and insects or other dried meat items that I can get through online pet supply stores.Image
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 am

aprilmay wrote:Friday a co-worker had crayfish for lunch, and i took a piece from her thrown away pile. Watermelon had a feast! :)
When i saw him started dragging the crayfish i thought he wanted to drag it to a hidden place to eat. but turned out he just wanted to get to the meaty parts inside the shell.
Oh, that's really too cool. Great picture. "Hi Watermelon"

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:49 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Happyhermiehome wrote:I'm going to be trying out dried rose petals for the first time. My mother in law grows roses without any pesticides and natural fertilizer and they are still in bloom. We were over last night and I snagged a few flowers on the way back to the car (shame on me lol) I dried them in the oven on low an they made the house smell great lol! I think I'll add them to my leaf litter.
Yes- as long as it is organic, they can eat the entire rose bush if they want. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks! :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 am

jclee wrote:My pet sitter has called the food stash an apothecary. It is a combination of items that I can get at the grocery store, and insects or other dried meat items that I can get through online pet supply stores.Image
Oh hai! I love using those little glass flip-top jars too! They are so great for home made mixes because they hold as much as my coffee grinder will make in a batch.

Also, Happyhermiehome, as a fellow mum's roses theif, salut! I tried several different bushes, since they smelled different ... never noticed a preference, but I liked the very red ones. Now it's winter I'm offering hips & dried leaves. :)

Tonight we have quail eggs:

Partner: oh, did you get eggs?
Me: I got quail eggs! Look! So speckled-ey!
Partner : ugh, I don't like quail eggs.
Me: oh why, is it the weird creamy texture? Like they're thicker or something, right?
Partner: yeah.
Me: I know... so gross.
Partner: wait, why did you get them then?
Me: they're smaller, and I thought-
Partner : OH FOR THE LOVE OF -! THE CRABS CAN EAT NORMAL EGGS.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

jclee

Post by jclee » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote: Partner : OH FOR THE LOVE OF -! THE CRABS CAN EAT NORMAL EGGS.
Hahaha. What our partners put up with.

cowpowah

Post by cowpowah » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:29 pm

My crabs are obsessed with carrots. I offer them twice a week.
Owner of 2 PP's since 2013.
Heracles (Smaller) Poseidon (Larger)

jclee

Post by jclee » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 pm

cowpowah wrote:My crabs are obsessed with carrots. I offer them twice a week.
Mine love carrots, too.