Prepping food

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

mlakers

Re: Prepping food

Post by mlakers » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:44 pm

I let egg shells dry out on the counter for about a week and then crumble them into small bits with my fingers and store that in a small baggie. Sometimes I mix them with shrimp shells that I have also let dry and then crumbled up.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Kermie16 wrote:So a little bit of Morton's sea salt in their food is ok?
I don't put any commercial salt in my tanks at all; the anti caking agents used could potentially make the crabs ill, and they should be getting all the salt they need from their saltwater. Adding salt to their food has absolutely no added benefit IMO.

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Kermie16 wrote:So a little bit of Morton's sea salt in their food is ok?
I don't put any commercial salt in my tanks at all; the anti caking agents used could potentially make the crabs ill, and they should be getting all the salt they need from their saltwater. Adding salt to their food has absolutely no added benefit IMO.
Really the only benefit it has is keeping things mold free and fresh. But I can vouch that pure, kosher salt (check the ingredients. Salt needs to be the only listed ingredient) is a good thing to have on hand when soaking and curing driftwood you find outside.
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:04 am

Yeah, I use it to help with preservation and kept using it since it's on the safe food list.
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
"Feels like a desert around.. my bowls and sand mounds..so Imma frown..
"SO WILL YOU GET THE MIST!?"
Me - "HECK YEAH!"
(To the tune of "Business" by Eminem)

mool

Post by mool » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:42 am

The list of safe foods is really expansive and should answer most of your questions.

I'm a bit more cautious than most, so I only feed my crabs organic or naturally sourced foods. I rely heavily on the safe foods list.

I try most of the meats raw and then cooked. The crabs vary as to what they like raw and what they want cooked.

I keep the egg shells in the freezer, but I bake and crush them before offering them to the crabs. OR, I pop a half a shell, uncrushed, into the tank as soon as I use the egg.

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:28 am

pandaincognito wrote:A little of both. Birdseye is usually what I feed us, so thats what the crabs get as well. I throw in fresh veggies too when they're used (except tomatoes, they dont seem to do well frozen). The crabs diet is based on what I cook on a nightly basis. I also have freezedried foods on hand as well for nights I can't cook (like the past couple of nights)
Great idea, Pandaincognito ! I cook practically every night for my family so I will plan on maybe keeping a little Tupperware on my kitchen counter for crabbie yummies as I prep dinner every night! Thanks!!

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:31 am

Kermie16 wrote:
pandaincognito wrote:A little of both. Birdseye is usually what I feed us, so thats what the crabs get as well. I throw in fresh veggies too when they're used (except tomatoes, they dont seem to do well frozen). The crabs diet is based on what I cook on a nightly basis. I also have freezedried foods on hand as well for nights I can't cook (like the past couple of nights)
Great idea, Pandaincognito ! I cook practically every night for my family so I will plan on maybe keeping a little Tupperware on my kitchen counter for crabbie yummies as I prep dinner every night! Thanks!!
They also love scraps ^•^ so think twice before you throw out your carrot skins and avacado rinds
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:56 am

A lot of the organic peanut butter at my local grocery has sea salt in it. In fact I don't think I found one without sea salt. I ended up buying one with it since sea salt is on the safe food list. Will that be ok? Also noticed some of the organic PB has coconut sugar?? Not familiar with that and did not see on either safe or not safe list. Any opinions??

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Well coconut meat, oil, water, and shells are safe, so I would guess yes
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
"Feels like a desert around.. my bowls and sand mounds..so Imma frown..
"SO WILL YOU GET THE MIST!?"
Me - "HECK YEAH!"
(To the tune of "Business" by Eminem)

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Got it! Thank u!!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:54 am

I had read the safe and unsafe food lists, but this thread has helped the most. I found organic pb in my local Wal-Mart, but a lot has sea salt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 am

AleyedtoBuggie wrote:I had read the safe and unsafe food lists, but this thread has helped the most. I found organic pb in my local Wal-Mart, but a lot has sea salt.

I had the same issue aleyedtobuggie. I just went ahead and got one. I figured sea salt is on the safe list and maybe they just put enough to keep it fresh (as a preservative)? Have to go with what's best for the hermies but also with what is available.
I also found beach nut brand baby food - u have to read the labels carefully. I found a lot of the baby food (organic) have water listed in ingredients. I am planning on making some mixed with the baby food and freezing them to pop out for the hermies on occasion. So, I got the Beach Nut stage 2 baby food and on the front of the label it says "JUST ..." Like "just peas and carrots" or "just string beans and spinach". The main word is "JUST". I checked a lot of the labels yesterday and these seemed the most reliable and in the ingredients it really just had the veggies listed. Nothing else. On the plus they r in decent sized glass jars so I think they will last for a while and I got mine on sale - 10 for $10! :D

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Something I buy at Wal-Mart for the crabs, since they loved it from the hermit crab garden so much is coconut nectar, rebranded coconut sugar(still nectar)! They always eat it all! Seriously has to be their favorite hands down, then popcorn. :)

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Perfect!! I will need to look for that!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:57 pm

I think I'll be able to pickup some organic pb this weekend, thanks for your reassurance! @Kermie16

I'll also be looking for that coconut nectar/sugar! Thanks for the tip @Rawrgeous!