What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2009~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:06 am

kevinoh33 wrote:Since it is New Years Eve, my crabs will be having a piece of Alaskan King Crab, a piece of banana, coconut, dried cranberries and kibble from the happy hermit crab :D

MMMMMMM
Alaskan King Crab :D
LOL crabs eating crabs

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 am

thehermitcrabolympics wrote: LOL crabs eating crabs
Have U seen the adds at the bottom of the page when u post? There have been ones for crab restaurants, different kinds of crab meat, and crab traps. :roll: :hlol:

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Freshly killed crickets for tonight. Mmmmmm... :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:08 pm

Walnuts, eggshells, strawberries... which they seemed to loathe. I don't get it... why would anyone dislike strawberries? (I mean the fruit)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:05 am

Last night:
Poppin' Calcium!
Take 3 kernels of unsalted popped popcorn (this was a special treat, my dad helped me make just enough for them!) and pull apart into small pieces. Then chop up some celery, grapes, and green pepper and mix it with the popcorn. Finally, add crushed eggshells or cuttlebone (or both!) and serve!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Last night:
scrambled eggs with pieces of egg shell on top

Tonight:
Thought I'd be simple and give them fresh fruit. Bananas.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Tonight: their favorite... peanut butter.

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm

A nice little meal I made two days ago because I felt creative. It's supposed to be a little like that fruit coconut-y shrimp scampi thing they serve in Red Lobster. Anyways, I saw two hermies at the dish when I served it, which is two more than usual!

Brine shrimp
Peas
Green beans
Coconut
A few bits of orange peel
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 am

Last night: a little of my kibble creation: oats, grits, raisins, walnuts, almonds, and rice. Add hot dechlorinated water and a drizzle of honey...ta-da!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Last night and tonight:
Blood worms and Baby Shrimp.

DragonTear

Hibiscus Oatmeal

Post by DragonTear » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:26 pm

This is a favorite of my girls.
Everything is organic, the salt used is Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Sea Salt, the water used in cooking is de-chlorinated and the cookware is non-metallic and lead-free.

Hibiscus Oatmeal

2 Parts Water
1 Part Oats
Sea Salt
Dried Hibiscus Flowers
Frozen Coconut Chunks
Frozen River Shrimp
Dried Apple
Dried Wakame Seaweed

Bring water to boil and add oatmeal. Cook for approx. 5 minutes. Add rest of ingredients except the wakame. Cook for another 3 minutes on medium heat or until oatmeal is desired consistency (I like to make it thick but not pasty, and not as fully cooked as I'd make for myself). Add wakame towards the end.

Garnish with pulverized cuttlebone and red raspberry leaf.

As you can see the hibiscus lends a lovely color to the oatmeal!

~Dragontear
55 G Crabitat
1 Jumbo PP-Dumbledore
1 Large/Medium PP- Hermione
4 Medium PP's- Tonks, Hagrid, Neville & Gwenog

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:02 pm

Today's menu included: grapes, pineapple, orange, with a side of peanut butter, all served on a bed of lettuce with a carrot garnish!

Does anyone know of a commercially made trail mix, even human kind, that has good stuff in it for hermies? :?:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Does anyone know of a commercially made trail mix, even human kind, that has good stuff in it for hermies?
hey liz, do you have any health food stores by you? what I did just yesterday was go to the health food store here and get things from their bulk section..

I know that not all areas have good health food stores though. however, if you can get to one, I bet you can look through their bulk bins, and pick stuff that has no sugar or anything added: I was able to get dried banana, papaya, pineapple, raisins, blueberries.. they had a ton of dried fruits and I just got one piece of each, so it was like 20 cents per item and I'm sure i have enough for them to eat for a year.....

i know sometimes its tough to find a good health food store though. HOWEVER maybe you can find one online as well. (???) this is the best I can offer for now! good luck! btw when I was there I checked out their bulk trail mixes, and even at the health food store they have 'stuff' added so I just got the ingredients and mixed my own... ^^

ha- I just had an idea! honestly if you can't find anything you could tell me what you want and I will get it and mail it to you! you can get me postage thru paypal or something ^^ :idea:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Wow...20 cents! :shock: Lucky baby-snakes! I'll check here and see if I can find anything...if not I might just have you pick me up some stuff! We have a co-op about an hour away, and an organic store about 45 minutes away. Hhhmmm....I'm going shopping Saturday or Sunday. I'll keep you posted! :wink:

Xena

Post by Xena » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:39 pm

I did the same thing at Whole Foods and was able to buy a bit of this and and a bit of that for little money!