Crickets

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Willow

Post by Willow » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 pm

I feed my hermies Can O' Crickets all the time. They won't last more than a week in the fridge (they'll mold), and you probably won't use them all up before then. I put them in the freezer.

You absolutely DO NOT want to microwave the crickets----you'll never get the smell out of your house. It's truly awful. I do put them in the 'tat still frozen sometimes.....they thaw quickly in the heat and humidity, and the hermies never go near them until they're nice and warm. But usually I take the can out of the freezer, let it thaw, take what I need and put the can back in the freezer. No problems yet with this method---the hermies don't complain about freezer burn! And they eat the re-frozen crickets just as heartily as the fresh ones.

Also try the Can O' Snails! I was surprised (I bought the snails for my salamanders, who HATED them), but the hermies really liked them. And the Can O' Grasshoppers went over well, too, but they creeped me out. I think I'll stick with the crickets. The Can O' Pillars (waxworms) are fairly popular with the crabbies, but not as much as the crickets. And they don't like the mealworms at all. If you can find the canned river shrimp (usually in the turtle section), those are pretty popular, too.

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by megs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Willow wrote:If you can find the canned river shrimp (usually in the turtle section), those are pretty popular, too.
Those things smell nastyyyyyyyyyy! Not really fishy, just really gross. They are currently being ignored in my tank. I got some on sale at Petco today.
It was a banner shopping day in crabland, they got a bunch of new dishes (those ceramic kidney shaped dishes were 50 cents at Wal*mart!) and a ton of new foods at various places.
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."