Whats your crabs favourite food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm

Okay so far on a daylie basis they are being fed

Apple
Avocado
Carrot (organic)
Coco-Nut
Fresh Water
Gerber Baby Food Guam (spelled wrong most likly)
Grapes (green)
Ice Berg Lettuce
Mango
Red Leaf Lettuce
Salt Water

and when I have time to get to the store, dryed shrimp,mustard greens, chicken breast without seasoning, hamburger without seasoning,and freeze dryed blood worms. Should I add more fruit? More meat? Where do I find cuttlebone?
★Rescuer of Illinois Crabs★ Has 21 in a 95gw tank★
*If you ever need help I will help you to the best of my abilitys and if I can no longer be of assistance I will find someone who can be for you*
<3 The Hermies Want YOU To Help Them <3

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:44 pm

The meat sounds fine; you can probably add some fish to that, though, and maybe some mollusks such as scallops and such (you can leave the shells in the tank, too).

As for cuttlebone, it can be found in the pet food section in the grocery around the birdseed/bird supplies sections (not all groceries have this).

I think the pet sections of Wal-mart or Target has these as well.

And you can check out any petshop that has bird supplies as well (as their primary reason for sale is for beak and bone maintenance for budgerigars). :)

Bob & Souix's Mom

Post by Bob & Souix's Mom » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Crickets/Grasshoppers in the ZooMed can.
I really love my crabs....*shudder*

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:28 am

One of the fav of my crabs is Corn....unsweetened boiled right off the cob. I heard they like the cob too, but I have not tried it yet.

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Coconut and Cyclopeeze rank highest, though there are many others.

Jackie x Jupiter

Post by Jackie x Jupiter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Mine love mysis shrimp, eggs, and oak leaves. Over the summer I would pluck one or two from the trees in my yard every week and let them munch on them until they're almost gone.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Worm castings is the all out favorite of everyone. They also like scrambled eggs and coconut.
Owner of 4 PPs

ruthlc

Post by ruthlc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 pm

My Hermie's love grapes and peanut butter, and bananas.
Hermies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freedomwolf

Post by Freedomwolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm

I thought iceberg lettuce was not good for them but other lettuce was?

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Its not that is necessarily bad for them as far as I know. Just there isn't really much of a point in feeding iceberg, because you might as well give them a dish of water. Iceberg doesn't have the nutritional value that other types of lettuces have.
My hermits seem to enjoy worm castings, HCP mineral powder, frozen/fresh coconut, freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried shrimp, krill and lately the kibbles I've had from HCP (had them for a few months now... go figure the older they are the more they like them)
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus