What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2012~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

libraamy

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by libraamy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 am

I always feed rice, they love it
My mum usually cook rice mixed with buckwheat, for it is good for health
Rice is one of the most attractive foods among crab lovers. So is apple
Today Butterfly Cracker and Neocaridina denticulate

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I picked up some shrimp from the pet store. they had the turtle medley i just grabbed the shrimp for now. so gross >_< maybe that's why i grabbed it instead, the turtle medley is in a clear jar so you can see all the nasties in it but the shrimp is in a can so you can't see them lol. they're so tiny but i only gave him one for now to see if he likes it.
he also got a fruit buffet, strawberry and top, grape, kiwi, and coconut, and a chickpea. all new foods to him so we'll see how it goes. he didn't touch the kiwi i put in yesterday and it molded really fast. he was too excited about the coconut to bother with anything else.
DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 pm

This was a few nights ago, but it was popular :P
It has fresh coconut, fresh mango, and a crabby egg I made with eggshells, coconut milk and crushed krill :) There is also a coconut cuttlebone treat I made, freeze dried crickets, a flower "salad" with sunflower petals, rose petals, and calendula and some bee pollen :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 am

I will skip the basmati then but if I get some Chinese rice next time ill give him some for a treat :)
I was surprised to see that Spongebob hadn't really gone for the shrimp. He didn't eat yesterday and it all looked ok still so I left it, this morning everything in the dish was pushed around like he was after one specific thing, figured it would be the shrimp but its still in there. Then he spent all morning in the dry food dish eating almond. Seems like all he wants lol. I tossed him a cashew on my way out to make him happy lol but when I get home he's getting a more limited dinner to make sure he eats the shrimp.
"No almonds until you finish your shrimp young man!" Lol

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:37 pm

I made a tiny omelette filled with veggies and it looks like no one was interested. I also mad a fruit salad with strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and mango. No one really touched that either. The turkey however was gone.

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 pm

he must be a vegetarian, sheesh. he hasn't touched the shrimp i got at all i don't think. i put one in a clamshell with just a bit of coconut, he's so into coconut right now i thought maybe if the shrimp is next to the coconut and smells like it he might go for it. he kicked the shrimp out of the shell and ate all the coconut. he's turned down shrimp fish and chicken. silly crab :P
so he has shrimp (lol), HAD coconut, and also strawberry, cauliflower, i think there's a piece of asparagus in there lol, edamame, and a bit of rice. as far as i can tell only the coconut was touched
i guess if i want to stuff him with protein before adding friends i'll have to go get some almond butter which he loves, and give him lots of nuts and try to figure out some other high protein foods that he'll actually eat. i hope when we get more the others will be less picky so they'll eat what he doesn't. it's not really a waste since it's all ends and bits and pieces of what we have for supper anyway lol but it's still the time and effort. now i know how my mom felt when she tried to make anything different when we were kids and we just demanded stuff like hot dogs and KD instead lol

speeddemonbk

Post by speeddemonbk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Mine are all underground. All 18 of 'em. I can see two shells that belong to two hermies but they are halfway buried. There was a heating disaster in my apartment for a few days while I was out of town and they got affected by it. I saw 4 up last night but they have since gone and hid from me... I made them (cooked) oatmeal and raisins with a few slices of strawberries on top. Some mealworms and herring on the side.
12 Purple Pinchers
2 Ecuadorian Popcicles
5 Bettas
3 Fire Belly Toads
2 Dogs
Hermie Site: http://coloradocrabby.webs.com/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:11 pm

For a Christmas treat for the crabs, I bought 4 fresh smelts from the fish counter. :hlol: all 32 cents worth!

Along with that they're getting a dried mix of apricot, fig, and dates. Thought that was rather holidayish. :D
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Tonight (as a Christmas feast ;) ) I am going to give them: A blackberry, strawberry, pineapple, HBH Hermit Crab Cookies (as a treat), and Sun-Dried shrimp. :D
I am a proud owner of five hermies named Leopard (PP), Ribbon (PP), Kremer (PP), Queenie (PP), and Sunny (E). I have been crabbing since 6/16/11, and have been loving and learning so much about them ever since! My family and I also own a husky, a cat, and a bunch of freshwater fish.