Safe Food List from EH

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Kat

Re: Safe Food List from EH

Post by Kat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:07 pm

So I checked the ingredients for my organic peanut butter, and it says it has salt, which probably means iodine. Is it really safe?
Rabid crabber since November 2012 with PPs, Es, straws, ruggies, a viola, cats, a hamster, and a gerbil.

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 pm

I think the concern about iodine is for the salt water as I have fed my crabs some table foods with regular salt & in 3 years I have never had a problem.
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

Kat

Post by Kat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks!
Rabid crabber since November 2012 with PPs, Es, straws, ruggies, a viola, cats, a hamster, and a gerbil.

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:25 pm

No problem :) Of note, in my experience, you can also use table salt when doing shell boiling or deco prep since they will dry before coming in contact with the crabs :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:31 pm

It's the anitcaking agents in the salt which is the worry since it's a derivative of cyanide. Natural salts don't contain it, and not all anti-caking agents have it, but without knowing what goes into the ingredients there's a bit of a worry.

Iodine is necessary for all invertebrates to be able to molt, and marine mixes do contain it in the proper amounts. Iodine is not going to hurt them. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Thank you, wodesorel! Why can't I "thank you" for your post?

Topic author
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm

See my "iodine in table salt myth" article halfway down this thread:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 36&t=71817&
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Kat

Post by Kat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Very helpful, thank you!

hermitcrabzkid

Post by hermitcrabzkid » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:13 pm

can plain, cooked shrimp be okay

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 pm

hermitcrabzkid wrote:can plain, cooked shrimp be okay
yes, they especially love to crunch on the tails :D
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

jusgus

Post by jusgus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:01 am

The list says wild rice. Does that include all wild rice? I am just wondering if red rice is safe, it is a naturally red Asian rice
8 Purple Pinchers- Crush, Ally, Squishy, Huckleberry, Oscar, Nosey, Abi, and Nemo
11 Tarantulas
1 Leopard Gecko
1 Nile Monitor- Lucky

alliciat

Post by alliciat » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I use Canola Oil 99% of the time, rather than Evoo. I haven't seen canola listed on eithe the safe or unsafe list. Anyone know if it's okay for the crabs to have?

Also, anyone know if Agave nectar/syrup, 100% organic, no preservatives, is safe for Hermit crabs? I use that 90% of the time, rather than honey due to it's low glycemic index.

What about these seeds: Poppy, anise, fennel, caraway? I know crabs are more attracted to strong/stinky smells, and these are pretty aromatic. I use them a lot in baking.

Since whole wheat/whole grain pasta is okay, does this mean wheat flour would be okay? I was thinking about trying to create some hermit crab crunchies, with all sorts of stuff ground up and mixed in, then baking it.

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:08 pm

alliciat wrote:Since whole wheat/whole grain pasta is okay, does this mean wheat flour would be okay? I was thinking about trying to create some hermit crab crunchies, with all sorts of stuff ground up and mixed in, then baking it.
wheat flour is okay when baked into something. i used it to make dog treats this past Christmas, and gave one to the crabs. They loved it! it is safe. Here is the recipe: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 48&t=91379
it doesn't taste that good if you are a human though LOL
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 pm

jusgus wrote:The list says wild rice. Does that include all wild rice? I am just wondering if red rice is safe, it is a naturally red Asian rice
Yes, but keep an eye on the extra minerals. Some of the really exotic rices are high in odd elements and shouldn't be fed constantly. (Once in a while is always okay. :) )
alliciat wrote:I use Canola Oil 99% of the time, rather than Evoo.
Yes, it's from the cabbage family.

alliciat wrote:Also, anyone know if Agave nectar/syrup, 100% organic, no preservatives, is safe for Hermit crabs?
Definitely yes, but they like honey more!
alliciat wrote:What about these seeds: Poppy, anise, fennel, caraway?
Never tried and unknown, but none would be native to where they came from. I'm generally of the opinion that they won't eat something harmful so it's worth a try. Poppy of course is related to you know what so there is that to think about. Anise, fennel and caraway are closely related to carrot and parsley, so in theory shouldn't be unsafe.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

alliciat

Post by alliciat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 am

Great, thanks for the feedback. I'll not offer ground poppy. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm just trying to find ways to entice them to eat. Since it seems they are motivated by scent/smell, like I've read, I'm trying to think of things with stronger smells, to mix in with their foods.

Glad to know about Agave and who'd've thought canola oil was from the cabbage family lol! They have shown absolutely NO interest in honey, each time it was offered, so I was thinking to offer them organic blueberry agave, so see if that draws any interest.