What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2009~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:59 pm

I did the same thing at Whole Foods and was able to buy a bit of this and and a bit of that for little money!
it was pretty amusing when the guy was weighing out the bags ^^ :P

sounds like you have a possible source there liz -- but if you need anything, there is a health food store on every corner here. I'm sure we could set you up ^^ I do have a paypal acct and you can pm me if you need to. :hug:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm

Pecans sprinkled w/ Happy Hermit Crabs seaweed special and honey on the side

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 pm

i was so proud of what i fed them last night and i dont think they even touched it ... at least it didnt look that way this morning... i just knew that after "the digger" came up he'd be all over it, but not so -he has a RED left walking leg (anyone know what kind of crab that is or if it's NOT supposed to have a RED leg) ...

anyway last nights menu was

chicken
green peas
shredded carrots
iceberg lettuce
apple

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:07 am

red legs are normal-which leg is it?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 am

it's his/her rear left walking leg and it is fire engine red .... i was afraid something was wrong with it ... also, he's more of a tan color and the other crab is like a dark maroon color all over, that one darkened way up since we got them, i think they were pale when we got them, could they both be PP's even if they are diff colors?

btw ... last night i think they like dinner a little better they had

crushed pecans, oats with crushed cuttle bone drizzled with honey

there's still some left .... do y'all leave it in for a day or so or remove daily, i've been removing daily so as not to attract bugs

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:59 pm

shellmybell15 wrote:it's his/her rear left walking leg and it is fire engine red .... i was afraid something was wrong with it ... also, he's more of a tan color and the other crab is like a dark maroon color all over, that one darkened way up since we got them, i think they were pale when we got them, could they both be PP's even if they are diff colors?
the leg i think you're talking about is i think whats called their guard leg. its usually the darkest colored thickest leg that they have. its normal. its for when they curl into their shells it blocks the opening along with the BP

and yes, they can both be PP's if they're different colors. i have pp of like 10 colors. ive had brown ones, tan ones, red ones and one that was such a dark red it looked purple. it all depends on what nutrients theyre getting. usually the darker color they are, the healthier they ate before their last molt.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:38 am

thanks for the response about the leg, just making sure nothing was wrong with him

they didnt eat last night, doesnt look like anything was even disturbed in their food dish, usually there's at least substrate in the dish .... here's the menu

tomato
shredded carrot
lettuce
boiled egg white

basically a salad ....

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Scrambled Egg and Salmon with a side of Bannana And Honey. Also in another dish there is Grapes, Mango and Watermelon.

The Crabs ripped the dishes apart! Mango everywhere! Thank god I have crickets and Rollie Pollies running around as my clean up crew.

Those Cavipes eat like mad! They loved the grapes!
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Well I bought some black berries, blue berries and strawberries. Last night I took a few of each and mushed them all up into a bowl, well it was kinda runny so I added some oats to thicken it up a bit then I put it all in a ziplock bag and mushed it flat and froze it flat so I will break it up tonight and offer that with some meat that we have for dinner (no spices, I always give them it before I even cook it). I want to buy some uncooked shrimp, salmon and maybe some other fish thing, but I feel weird asking the butcher to give me 2 shrimp and 3 ounces of salmon and 3 ounces of whatever else I decide to get.

CrabbyKev

Post by CrabbyKev » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:55 pm

THHC's Staple Diet with few drops of organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil :D

Simple :)

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:19 pm

In one shell a weird porridge made of carrot, sweet potato, and red bell peppers (dehydrated) mixed with honey, cuttlebone powder, and blackstrap molasses. Two of the new Es ate at the same time, it was adorable.
In the other dish I have a rooibos, orange peel, orchid, and white oak bark mix on one side and a mushroom, seaweed, coconut, and buckwheat noodle mix on the other side. And a cube of bloodworm and spirulina in the middle.

Now that I go over that list and realize I spent twenty minutes in the kitchen putting the meal together, I guess my crabs are lucky, at least in terms of food.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:27 pm

à la carte:

-Blue Gill boiled in saltwater
-Coconut
-Pumpkin
-Assorted Dried Leaves
-Bloodworms
-Cuttlebone
-Raisin
-Home-Made Kibble (filled with almost anything you can imagine; extremely nutritious :))

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:05 pm

Kilimanjaro inspired me to go 'forage' so tonight's menu is a tossed salad of dandelion greens and dandelion petals, blackberry leaves, sprinkled with walnuts (Scrunchees FAVORITE FOOD in the whole world is walnuts!), and garnished with a couple of jasmine flowers from THHC. In a separate dish, some boiled egg yolk and white with the shell.
Bon apetit! :toothy4:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:53 pm

OK so this morning ALL egg was gone - as were the blackberry leaves, dried jasmine, walnut, and dandelion flowers. The dandelion leaves were still in the dish. When I look in the cocohut, I see Scrunchee guarding the last blackberry leaf.

Tonight, it's organic winter squash baby food mixed with Surf and Turf from the Hermit Crab Patch, with freezedried krill on the side. For dessert, a nice piece of bruised banana sprinkled with coconut. Yummy!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Yall have such good recipes! :D