Kilimanjaro's Guide to Hermit Crab Nutrition

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 am

I have T-rex's "Fruit and Flower Crab Food". I am guessing this is bad? & since it was all they really had, at the time I got HBH's "Crab and Lobster Bites", and I am assuming this is bad too?

Shoot! I did put some freeze dried krill in their bowl and they went crazy.

I gave them fresh bananas one night and then spirulina and carrots another. They didn't touch it. :( I need some new crab food. What should do with the old? I hate wasting money!

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 pm

This is sooooo helpful! Is it ok to leave the fruits and veggies, etc. in the cage for more then one day, or do I have to change it daily? :?

Topic author
Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:55 pm

hermiesrockmysoxoff wrote:This is sooooo helpful! Is it ok to leave the fruits and veggies, etc. in the cage for more then one day, or do I have to change it daily? :?
It's fine to leave them in there for a day or two. :wink: Just make sure that they do not start accumulating mold. :)

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:41 am

ok well, they haven't even touched it :(

Topic author
Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:32 pm

hermiesrockmysoxoff wrote:ok well, they haven't even touched it :(
They will, eventually. :wink:

Sometimes it takes more than one feeding to entice them! :) They can be very picky eaters. :roll:

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:53 pm

:D I've found that introducing a new food several times is more likely to get them to try it. I also leave it in there for a while...removing it if I see mold starting. Or it gets so stinky that the husband complains! :roll:
Hope they enjoy their new, tasty treats soon for ya. [smilie=fingerscrossed.jpg] Don't give up.
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Silver Buttons

Post by Silver Buttons » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Great, I bought some HBH Variety Bites. >.< I've been feeding it to them every couple of days and of course they love it, but it has to go.

I was looking at the ingredients and it lists various proteinates. (Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, etc.) A proteinate is a nutrient that's bound to a protein molecule to make it easier for the animal's body to access, or something like that. Are these safe for hermit crabs? Seems they would naturally derive minerals from the foods they eat, if they're being given natural foods.
What should do with the old? I hate wasting money!
Me, too. I'm planning on dumping mine on an ant hill. :twisted:
My DeviantArt account
~*~*~*~~*~*~
My 2 PPs: Beatrix & Jasper. ^_^

Julia Coenobita

Post by Julia Coenobita » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:10 am

After looking at that food pyramid, I realized that I am not giving my hermit crabs nearly enough protein. I feed them nuts, but I realize they need meat and fish every day. That explains attacks on molters and micros that I sometimes have. I occasionally get raw shrimp which they love, which is available conveniently. What is the easiest way to feed my hermit crabs more protein? :?:
*Julia Coenobita- Crabbing Since 6/3/06*
PPs: Amethyst, Chrysoprase
Es: Apollo

Scary Clam

Post by Scary Clam » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:14 am

Julia Coenobita wrote:After looking at that food pyramid, I realized that I am not giving my hermit crabs nearly enough protein. I feed them nuts, but I realize they need meat and fish every day. That explains attacks on molters and micros that I sometimes have. I occasionally get raw shrimp which they love, which is available conveniently. What is the easiest way to feed my hermit crabs more protein? :?:
What I started doing was getting frozen krill from my local aquarium shop. I've seen it at Petco too. It's San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Krill. The only ingredient is krill, and it's frozen so it won't go bad. My guys seem to love it! :)

Julia Coenobita

Post by Julia Coenobita » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 am

Where would I find that at Petco, at the fish section?

Thanks! 8)

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:03 am

Julia Coenobita wrote:Where would I find that at Petco, at the fish section?

Thanks! 8)
Yep. If the particular Petco in your area has marine fish or a relatively extensive tropical fish/reptiles section, there should be a mini-freezer in the back where they keep frozen food such as krill, silversides, plankton, or even baby pinkie mice.

Julia Coenobita

Post by Julia Coenobita » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am

I found it, Thank you! :)

awesome info

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 am

exactly the info i needed to get my hermies off commercial food.
thanks to all that contributed!!!!

Kelp tablets?

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:42 am

Wonder if it would be okay to give my hermies a kelp tablet to chew on? I take them b/c they supply a good source of Iodine.

Topic author
Kilimanjaro

Re: Kelp tablets?

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm

Wow, I can't believe I missed this question! :lol:
Silver Buttons wrote:I was looking at the ingredients and it lists various proteinates. (Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, etc.) A proteinate is a nutrient that's bound to a protein molecule to make it easier for the animal's body to access, or something like that. Are these safe for hermit crabs? Seems they would naturally derive minerals from the foods they eat, if they're being given natural foods.
It all depends whether you're interested in feeding crabs chemically altered foods. :) Of course, that sounds harsh, but I wouldn't do it myself. The crabs can access nutrients just fine by natural foods.

Besides, most of the foods that include proteinates would also include a slew of other bad things, especially preservatives. :|

jaimeboo wrote:Wonder if it would be okay to give my hermies a kelp tablet to chew on? I take them b/c they supply a good source of Iodine.
It would depend on the ingredients. :) If it's just kelp, I would say that grinding it up first would be the best idea for them to eat it. :D