What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2014~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Ryry

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Ryry » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm going to be carving pumpkins soon- wondering if any one has any good ideas on how to prepare pumpkin? Should I blend a bit and freeze what I don't use? Diff saving the seeds. Do people just air dry pumpkin seeds? I know when they are meant to b eaten by me I bake them and add seasoning. Should I bake theirs?
Also I love all the mixes and cookies recipes!! Please share if you have some! I want to try the peanut butter Apple one mentioned above- my dog will b happy too!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:20 pm

I freeze seeds and "guts" raw in ice cube trays to make easier serving sizes (bag once frozen). I also bake some seeds without seasonings for them. They seem to like them either way. If I'm baking a pumpkin, I freeze some of the cooked meat too. I think I have some pumpkin treat recipes...I'll look in a bit when I have more time.

This is the recipe I used for the squash flax treats I mentioned in another post (I just substituted the pumpkin for butternut squash because it's what I had). I used olive oil instead of veg oil. I'm sure you can ommit the brown sugar if that bothers you, or substitute honey.
I want to try these next (minus the cinnamon).

nanasue

Post by nanasue » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:04 pm

turnips, pepper mix, kale, pomegranate, sweet pot, beets, parsnip, coconut,
pop corn, mahi mahi, cuttle bone, honey drizzle.
"I tawt I taw a Twabitat."

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:33 pm

CallaLily wrote:I freeze seeds and "guts" raw in ice cube trays to make easier serving sizes (bag once frozen). I also bake some seeds without seasonings for them. They seem to like them either way. If I'm baking a pumpkin, I freeze some of the cooked meat too. I think I have some pumpkin treat recipes...I'll look in a bit when I have more time.

This is the recipe I used for the squash flax treats I mentioned in another post (I just substituted the pumpkin for butternut squash because it's what I had). I used olive oil instead of veg oil. I'm sure you can ommit the brown sugar if that bothers you, or substitute honey.
I want to try these next (minus the cinnamon).
Those look like some good recipes! And great idea about the ice cube tray! I'm excited to be getting into the fall spirit with my crabs!
All kinds of crabby!

Sarasobo

Post by Sarasobo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:21 pm

tonight: watercress,green beans,red bell pepper,carrots,with peanutbutter-oatmeal cooked apple drizzled with all natural honey and garnished with a powdered crab food everything's either mashed or cut into tiny slices Image
6PPs:Flower Phonix thunder childHoneyTiny TimMelonmiso

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:21 am

Last nights grape and plum were a hit.

I also found my crab Sokka sitting in the dry food bowl just shoveling in honey flavored calcium and worm castings. I mean shoveling. As fast as his little legs would work!
All kinds of crabby!

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 am

my Pp's really dnt do for the grapes, I havent tried plums yet..I have some in my freezer for smoothies..The last few nights my girls have been munching on a chicken leg bone, lastnight I opened its & scrapped out the marrow, gave them a carrot,, broccoli, strawberry, potatoe, sprinkled in flax meal, seasalt,& chicken broth ,& (I made homemade chicken soup, & shared b4 adding all other spices & sensitive veggies) I also gave there dry hermie food.

Sent from HTC EVO, using Tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am

moonshermies wrote:my Pp's really dnt do for the grapes, I havent tried plums yet..I have some in my freezer for smoothies..The last few nights my girls have been munching on a chicken leg bone, lastnight I opened its & scrapped out the marrow, gave them a carrot,, broccoli, strawberry, potatoe, sprinkled in flax meal, seasalt,& chicken broth ,& (I made homemade chicken soup, & shared b4 adding all other spices & sensitive veggies) I also gave there dry hermie food.

Sent from HTC EVO, using Tapatalk 2

Mmmm home made chicken soup. Now I'm hungry... I have a few who like grapes, I usually cut up one or two and add something else, like blueberry, plum or Apple.
All kinds of crabby!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:21 am

Pineapple and pumpkin was a hit last night. The pineapple was dragged everywhere and the pumpkin had some good chunks taken out!
All kinds of crabby!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:48 am

I put some tuna in the tank last night expecting it to be a hit.... It looks untouched! Rude!!
All kinds of crabby!

MgnB

Post by MgnB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Ryry wrote:I put some tuna in the tank last night expecting it to be a hit.... It looks untouched! Rude!!
My crabbies did not touch the tuna either. It was packaged in water. I've heard they don't like that. I didn't see anything that wasn't in water though. :(

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:56 pm

MgnB wrote: My crabbies did not touch the tuna either. It was packaged in water. I've heard they don't like that. I didn't see anything that wasn't in water though. :(
I wouldn't want to give them the tuna packed in oil... But I bet we will have better luck with fresh fish! Trying that soon for sure!
All kinds of crabby!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Packed in olive oil is safe. ;) Fresh fish does seem to be preferred by my crew though (raw).

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:15 pm

New menu combination for the guys tonight: cucumber, pumpkin, a blackberry, mixed grains (flaked), ground mealworms with dried shrimp and a little powdered cuttlebone over the top because every meal needs a garnish.

No overly excited reaction yet but I think that's because the hollow resin log made its appearance back in the crabitat this evening: Felix and Harry have been happily climbing all over it and Big Enzo will rejoice when he comes up from one of his many burrows tonight 'cause it was his favorite hiding place :D .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

MgnB

Post by MgnB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Is it something you already buy? My family is not big on fish. It's actually only been in our house a couple of times and one was for the crabs. Shows how much I love them. Do you buy it in the deli?