What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2009~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 pm

I had a good one tonight, I wonder if they will like it: (I dont want to jinx it by assuming that :roll:) just got back from the store and it still tickles me that they eat such tiny amounts. so I got some shrimps and steamed them, they will last a long time.

so each group got a shrimp. i made some brown rice for my own dinner (w/nori in it I always do that) so each of them got a little spoon of that; and I took some of the starchy hot rice water and rehydrated some fruit - all different tiny bits cut up, banana apple blueberries mango papaya coconut. I stirred some honey and oats into that and eggshells on top. then I put a tiny little pile of spirulina all by itself ^^ so I can see what they do with it, if anything. ^^ all those things are in seperate piles.

Im real curious to find out what they like and what they dont. :P and this wasn't really that much effort. its such TINY AMOUNTS. :P :toothy7: I wish it was that easy to feed my kid. ^^ :P

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:53 am

Almond butter, river shrimp, bloodworms, (rancid) coconut, broccoli, papaya (drizzled with honey). I love arranging a tiny plate of food, but then I have to put water in it and stick it in the microwave to rehydrate it and it turns into brown grossness... maybe I'll rehydrate everything seperately and then arrange the plate next time.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:13 am

mmm bloodworms ^^^ :lol: num num ^^

I had just given them regular dried fruits before... which they were 'ok' about.. but this time I sliced up the fruits real tiny and put them in a tiny dish: then I just spooned over a few spoons of boiling water and let it sit..

after adding the honey, oats and eggshell it got quite goopy and thick like preserves. then I Put a spoon of that in the dish.

this was the first thing they went for tonight, I watched them eat it for quite awhile. they scooped it up and ate on that for quite a number of minutes. then a few bits out of the shrimp.

now they are taking a break. so far I would say they seemed to like the rehydrated fruits. :>> I have to remember to get some nut butter ^^

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:22 am

Yep, they loooooooove it. It can get a little messy at times though.

And it's times like these I wonder why I'm talking about crustacean food to people I don't know at 2:00 a.m. Hm. :hlol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:31 am

And it's times like these I wonder why I'm talking about crustacean food to people I don't know at 2:00 a.m. Hm. :hlol:
because its funnnn!!!!!!! 8)

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 am

Yep, I have to say I agree. At 3:26 a.m.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:40 am

Last night--their first-ever taste of POTATO!!! They were :cloud9:!

:P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 am

Last night my herms got blueberry baby food mixed with crushed egg shell and tonight they will be getting Crabotanicals Kelp Korn and Mysis shrimp!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:54 am

Hmmm... that blueberry baby food sounds pretty good!

Tonight my crabbies are enjoying a frittata of scrambled egg with the egg shells and a little bit of tri tip beef in it - and some of THHC's festive flat bread on the side.
:flower:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 am

Eggshells and THHC's bugs & nuts. I was amazed at their reaction! 3 minutes after I had put it in, all my crabs were climbing over each other and fighting over the food dish. I heard them chirping over it all night like a couple of toddlers fighting over the last chocolate chip cookie in the jar! :hlol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:04 pm

The THHC Festive Flatbread was a big hit again! Thanks NarNar!

But the frittata was funny - they picked out all the egg and left the little pieces of meat!! Well, I guess my guys aren't too much into beef!

Tonight - it's just a fruit salad of diced apples and pears with coconut and a side of bee pollen.

Let's see if that gets Lightning out of the moss pit where he's been hiding!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:22 pm

This morning, the bee pollen and fruit salad were GONE! Every bit!

Tonight, the crabbies will dine on minced chicken sprinkled with bladderwrack with green peas on the side. For dessert, organic dried pineapple with a walnut topping.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm

OK - so you can guess what my favorite part of caring for hermit crabs is... that's right - fixing those little dishes of food!

I should have guessed that the walnuts would have Scrunchee out of the moss pit - they were all gone... and the pineapple was strewn about - but no one even touched my yummy chicken and green pea stew!! Those picky crabbies!

So tonight it's freezedried mini shrimp and dessert of organic apple/carrot/mango babyfood with shredded carrot sprinkled on top.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:20 pm

tonight they're munching on a banana, which one of them has already tried to drag away but couldn't get a good grip on it :roll: and oats with honey and organic peanut butter, plus they're munching on their sand dollar.

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Peas, green beans, carrot, and pineapple chunks with river shrimp sprinkled around. Plus a piece of dried orchid.
As soon as I put it in the 'tat my jumbo Leif decided to sit right in the gigantic clam shell dish, not even eating but blocking all the others' access. He is such a bully sometimes! :D