Kilimanjaro's Guide to Hermit Crab Nutrition

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

JamesTosches

Re: Kilimanjaro's Guide to Hermit Crab Nutrition

Post by JamesTosches » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Truly great page! Thanks for all this! The Gordon Ramsay of Hermit Crab Keeping.
"I watch him scurry on the sand, To find a house that’s second-hand.
He crawls in someone else’s shell, And stays because it fits him well.
Imagine if we did the same,Just barged right in and staked a claim
To any empty house that fit,Then settled down to live in it."

<-(-_-)->

TheDivineZero

Post by TheDivineZero » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Would it be best to stop using my food I have? And use other foods (I got a list of good foods that I can get ahold of: Bananas, Cantaloupe, Bloodworms, Strawberry, Pineapple, Grapes, Apples) alternating?
Proud owner of 2 cats (Calvin & Hobbs), 1 dog (Artemis) and 1 Bearded Dragon (Mushu)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:39 pm

What are you using now? Most commercial foods pale in comparison to natural foods when it comes to getting the crabs a full nutritious diet, and some may be dangerous, but some are safe and can still be fed in rotation with other items. :) With hermits it's always a better idea to offer a variety as they're programmed to not want to eat the same thing for several days in a row - nature's way of making sure they get all the nutrients they need.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

TheDivineZero

Post by TheDivineZero » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Right now i'm using Jurrasi Diet, I did have pellets before but I think my E had a little trouble eating those so I had moved to the Jurassi Diet I use now. :)
Proud owner of 2 cats (Calvin & Hobbs), 1 dog (Artemis) and 1 Bearded Dragon (Mushu)

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 pm

iNyan wrote:Right now i'm using Jurrasi Diet, I did have pellets before but I think my E had a little trouble eating those so I had moved to the Jurassi Diet I use now. :)
If it is this ---> http://www.petco.com/product/10660/Jura ... Redirect=1 Than you should now that it contains copper sulfate, which is VERY bad for hermit crabs! You should NEVER feed them anything containing copper sulfate or ethoxyquin, so please get a different food that doesn't contain those ingrediants. I would reccomend this brand (don't worry the ingrediant list on the site is wrong because they are now starting to make their food all natural from what I understand.) :) ---> http://www.petco.com/product/13658/HBH- ... =LookAhead You could even start feeding your crabs an all natural diet if you like. :)
I am a proud owner of five hermies named Leopard (PP), Ribbon (PP), Kremer (PP), Queenie (PP), and Sunny (E). I have been crabbing since 6/16/11, and have been loving and learning so much about them ever since! My family and I also own a husky, a cat, and a bunch of freshwater fish.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Some copper is needed for their diet. Their blood is copper based, just like how ours is iron based. Too much iron will kill a human but getting none will kill us as well, and the same holds true for crabs. What we don't know is how much they require to stay healthy, how much they get from other sources like marine replacement mix, and how much the commercial foods contain.

Jurassi is one of those iffy foods. Some will feed it and have no problems, and other's won't give it to their crabs because of the ingredients. It's going to end up being your call what you want to do. :)

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:50 pm

wodesorel wrote:Some copper is needed for their diet. Their blood is copper based, just like how ours is iron based. Too much iron will kill a human but getting none will kill us as well, and the same holds true for crabs. What we don't know is how much they require to stay healthy, how much they get from other sources like marine replacement mix, and how much the commercial foods contain.

Jurassi is one of those iffy foods. Some will feed it and have no problems, and other's won't give it to their crabs because of the ingredients. It's going to end up being your call what you want to do. :)
Ok, I didn't know that they needed some copper. Thanks Wode! :) I myself would probably still stay away from that food, though. :| Does that mean copper sulfate is ok for them? I thought it was a total no-no. :?
I am a proud owner of five hermies named Leopard (PP), Ribbon (PP), Kremer (PP), Queenie (PP), and Sunny (E). I have been crabbing since 6/16/11, and have been loving and learning so much about them ever since! My family and I also own a husky, a cat, and a bunch of freshwater fish.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:53 pm

To be safe I think everyone recommends to stay away from it.

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:55 pm

wodesorel wrote:To be safe I think everyone recommends to stay away from it.
That's what I thought. Thanks Wode! :)

Kat

Post by Kat » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:55 pm

What category does spaghnum moss fall under?
Rabid crabber since November 2012 with PPs, Es, straws, ruggies, a viola, cats, a hamster, and a gerbil.

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Probably veggies.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm

About copper sulfate:

In the sulfate form it is added as an antifungal, not a nutritional supplement. Sulfate is digested too fast for it to really be okay. It will spike their levels once they eat it. Who knows how much is really in the food, but the safety range is very small. When people eat, our livers filter out toxins before they get to the rest of the body. These guys don't exactly have blood vessels to direct blood before gets to the whole body. Usually that works out for them, but when the substance is toxic to the blood itself
coloradocritterco.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 am

Don't forget that copper in a hermit's blood serves the same purpose as iron in ours. They do need small amounts in order to function properly, but then the question because how much is needed, and when is it too much? (In human children,one of the leading causes of death by poisoning is Iron Poisoning from eating too many chewable vitamins.) It's also hard to monitor what they're getting from foods alone.

blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 am

Im not arguing that they don't need some but this recent trend in saying copper sulfate is okay scares me. How much they need has not fully been established, but literature for crustaceans does exist, and its not very much before it becomes toxic. (See World Aquaculture Society Crustacean Nutrition). As long as your not feeding foods all sourced from a copper deficient land belt it really will be okay. Meat, especially production animals are fed very balanced diets and thus almost all meat is a decent source of copper for hermits.

Most commercial hermit crab food has enough copper in it for maintenance of hermit crabs without the additional sulfate.

Copper from food sources is chelated, meaning it is attached to an organic molecule and is highly usable by the body. A sulfate copper, not so much. It will dissociate into ions in the blood and likely not be used properly or excreted well. Im not sure what their heavy metal toxicity prevention is, but its a lot less than ours. We use our liver and bile to excrete the excess copper. I doubt they have a very good way of dealing with it considering it is so toxic to them. (Side note iron is very toxic to us because we have no good way of getting rid of extra. Our bodies only try to prevent absorption when in high levels.)

I would say hermit crab foods with chelated/protinated copper would be okay, if everything else checks out.
coloradocritterco.com