What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2010~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Kilimanjaro wrote:Hermitcrazy, do you buy those mice at the petstore as is? That seems like a cool treat. :glasses2:
Yup, they come in a four pack for $5 at a local pet store - they are born then frozen. The ones that are a little bloodier seem to be liked more. My hedgehog also loves baby mice. The born then immediately frozen mice are called "pinkies" and bones and all are eaten, they also sell "fuzzies" which are beginning to grow hair and not all of the "fuzzies" seem to get eaten like the bones and hair. :D

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Eeeeek! :covereyes:

:faint:

:hlol: I've never thought about feeding defrosted pinkies to hermits before. I've mulled using them for my tarantulas (especially when the goliath birdeater grows up). I've also read of anecdotes from the wild of coconut crabs feeding on rats...:D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:44 pm

MudCrabDude wrote: I've mulled using them for my tarantulas (especially when the goliath birdeater grows up). I've also read of anecdotes from the wild of coconut crabs feeding on rats...:D
I have tried giving my tarantula a defrosted pinkie but she wouldn't eat it, she does enjoy a live pinkie though :)

I better keep Keykers (my rat) away from Coconut crabs :shock:

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:49 pm

Hermitcrazy wrote:...
I better keep Keykers (my rat) away from Coconut crabs :shock:
:lol:

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:15 pm

I am only giving one food tonight to see if they like it.

SALMON!! :happy3:
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Tonight:
  • Crabby Chef Salad!
  • Sweet Organic Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Hard Boiled Egg, Krill, Crickets, Raisins, and Popcorn
  • Dressing is made of coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, white vinegar, peanut butter, calcium powder, and bee pollen
Santino was enjoying it!

Topic author
RChandler

Post by RChandler » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 am

This may be off topic, but Kili, do your crabs eat all that food? Or do you find yourself throwing away the majority of it. It seems that if I were to put in a single small piece of coconut it would last my 7 crabs for a month.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:56 am

Tonight mine are getting a carrot and basil salad (they love this :shock:), fresh grapes, grilled pork for some protein and dark green spring salad mix.

:D
A interesting observation I made was when I first got my crabs, they had very dull poops, but now as they leave their store bough life with the store bought foods and enter a world of fresh natural foods, there pools are very darkish rich. Haha.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:37 am

RChandler wrote:This may be off topic, but Kili, do your crabs eat all that food? Or do you find yourself throwing away the majority of it. It seems that if I were to put in a single small piece of coconut it would last my 7 crabs for a month.
It depends on the night. :lol:

Sometimes, it's a feast and almost all of it will be gone (or taken away and hidden! :lol:). Some nights it looks completely untouched, and some nights you can tell there were some crabs in there. :wink:

Because I have 23 crabs, I try to give them a lot of food so they all can drag a piece away and eat without worrying about another crab hogging the food dish. :)

scyllarus

Post by scyllarus » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:39 pm

how do you deal with crabs who bury the stuff, then? doesn't it stink up the tank?

tonight:
mini-meatball
chili pepper
oriental pear with mineral/spirulina & mysis shrimp
salad leaf garnish

plus, as a treat:
worm castings with mineral/spirulina/mysis.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:49 pm

rambochu wrote:how do you deal with crabs who bury the stuff, then? doesn't it stink up the tank?
I do daily surface searches. :lol: Today, I found something sand and EE covered... it was flaky... I'm not sure what it was, though. :hlol: Didn't have a smell... :P

Tonight, my crabs are having a specially prepared lazy meal. :D

Hermit Crab Patch goji berry treat, Hermit Crab Patch mineral supplement, organic carrot baby food, and dried crickets. :)

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:19 am

I'm usually to lazy to whip up anything neat-looking, so today was a staple, something my crabs like and usually always eat,

•Cilantro
•Grapes
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Tonight the crabs are having:
  • Crabby Hibiscus-Chamomile Jello
  • Chopped Carrot
  • Cricket
  • VitaFoods: Protein
  • VitaFoods: Sick Crab

Yum! :D I can't wait to see how the crabs like the jello. :D

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Tonight is a calcium rich omelet!! They absolutely love omelet!
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Topic author
Jackie x Jupiter

Post by Jackie x Jupiter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Just a scrambled egg, shell included :)