deer poo!

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Jlee1985

deer poo!

Post by Jlee1985 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:14 pm

So i whent on a hike to day and came across a pile of deer poop looked like it had been dropped this morning so i scooped some up for the hermits. I was thinking of going back ato see if i can find more later and was wondering how to dry it so I can store it. One thing that bugs me is these are urban deer the small lake where i found them is surrounded by houses and sit next to the highway the nearest wooded area is about two miles away. Should I be worried about the food the deers are eating?
"no more pet!" or so he said ;)

lessthansign3

Re: deer poo!

Post by lessthansign3 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:20 am

Here is my problem with collecting poo from wild animals - you have *no* idea what kind of diseases or parasites that animal could have. Now, will these diseases or parasites hurt the crabs? Probably not, they eat this (literal) crap in the wild, and they are used to it... and yet you are bringing those diseases and parasites into your home. So, it's up to you if you want to take that risk.

I sell guinea pig and rabbit poo on my etsy store for anyone who doesn't know a friend or family member with a healthy, unmedicated domestic herbivore (or is too embarassed to ask, lol) whose poo they can harvest. I let it dry on a flat surface on top of a shelf for a day or two, and that seems to do just fine. Deer poo might take longer because it's bigger, I dunno. I am no poo drying expert :lol:

Topic author
Jlee1985

Re: deer poo!

Post by Jlee1985 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Ya i gave them hamster poo from when he poos in his hamster ball, they always claen the bowl on that one. I thought about giving them the rabbit poo bit her bedding is cedar i know cedar is bad for them so unless she goes outside of her cage which she never dose. I think i will risk it and just be extra careful about handling it. I did get much so i won't go looking for more until it's warm out so i dry it out side. My husband is not thrilled about me bringing home crap :D
"no more pet!" or so he said ;)