Eggshell/Food Questions et General Foodstuffs

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Kaleoscope

Eggshell/Food Questions et General Foodstuffs

Post by Kaleoscope » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Heya! As the title indicates, I've been having some wonderings about food. I'm working on getting a mortar and pestle (I broke our last one) but am already saving up eggshells and I was wondering a bit about how to go about it. Currently I'm rinsing/cleaning them in municipal water for convenience then rinsing them with some nice filtered stuff, and setting them out on a paper towel on the counter to dry. Does this suffice? I figure any leftover chlorine/most other junk would dissipate and I'm not sure about the physical properties of fluoride, but the rinsing probably does it well enough. Should I remove the inner membrane attached to the shell? I have been doing so when it's convenient, but oft. I can't be bothered to break eggs nice and pretty like so peeling lil bits of eggshell off of em is a pain.
Additionally I've got frozen fishfood stuff and I've tossed in a lil cube of bloodworms for them yesterday. I assume this stuff is ok, but idk if there's some hidden horror I'm unaware of. Also on the topic of fishfood, I know you can supplement with hq stuff and I've seen someone mention Repashy. I've been wanting to get those for my Goldies, and if they're usable as a crossover for the crabbies that's be great. Any comments on that? I feel like I'm having trouble getting them to eat but it also maybe stress or general fussiness-I've had some problems keeping myself on top of the food. One of them seems frightened of the food bowl/exposure (I recently made it more sheltered) and the other just eats and eats everything that's usually not in the food bowl (like sphagnum moss). He chills out in this little ceramic bowl that their food was in before I saved em which is used as a permanent calcium products dish so maybe that's it? I have the PetSmart hermit crab bowl things that I nabbed when they were on sale. It might just be convenience.
I've found a nice way to rythemize the feedings though! I need to have stuff on schedules or else I kinda fall apart, and I am working on integrating my critters into it in a method that can be flexible but provide good enough form. So to offset the problems with needing tiny portions that kinda set me off, I'm doing both the cricket's food and the hermies food at the same time-operating on how the hermits need it done. I'm keeping two favorite staples constant with the crickets (lettuce/spinach and rolled oats) plus one fruit item for that dish, then wild card on the other. I'm able to switch things up and use parts unused by the others for the other one's which is really motivating. The crickets really like having 'real' food too, and I feel better about it as well since "you are what you eat", and I'd prefer the main staple for my gecko bby not to be commercially produced powder and gel junk.
I think that's all the questions I have, haha. I apologize for any messy grammar or w/e, today hasn't been that good of a day for me. I hope to post pictures of my tank soon, I just tossed up the sand after adding the rest (I found it!) for the required 6in. They love digging down deeper into it, but that's for another forum.
Caretaker/owner(?) of two PP's, Percy (F) and Atlantis (M).
Personally posses:
The #1 shoulder geck, Nameless. (Leopard Gecko)
Carrot and Cake, common and comet goldfish respectively.
A radioactive marshmallow known as a dog.

CallaLily

Re: Eggshell/Food Questions et General Foodstuffs

Post by CallaLily » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:01 am

Hi. :) I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Eggshells: I personally just chuck them into the tank raw and a little gooey (refrigerating any extras). My crabs love them this way. If you're wanting to powder them, it may be easiest to pop them in the oven for a bit to dry them out first. If you're sure your water supply is treated only with chlorine, and not chloramine, it will dissipate after sitting out for a day. But if your water is treated with chloramines or you're unsure, it's best to give them a final rinse in some dechlor water.

Bloodworms are great - dried or frozen/thawed. The Repashy foods depend on the ingredients. I'm only familiar with their crested gecko food and that I haven't looked at in a while.

Hermit crabs really eat such small amounts it can be hard to tell sometimes if they've eaten at all. Just keep up on offering a variety - it helps to change it up some every feeding. A more sheltered dish is good but over time they'll become bolder as they get used to their surroundings. My one tank's dish is in plain view and they are not shy about it so maybe over time you'll be able to watch yours eat more easily. The one crab spending a lot of time in the calcium dish may be just getting a much needed calcium boost or perhaps prepping for a molt.

Please let me know if I missed something.

Topic author
Kaleoscope

Re: Eggshell/Food Questions et General Foodstuffs

Post by Kaleoscope » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm probably going to mix the two up occasionally, but grinding them makes them more convenient and less likely to be too icky, esp. for the permanent bowl. Def a good thing for me to rinse in filtered stuff-I'm on Atlanta-area water and we human's don't even drink the stuff.

I'll need to check that out then! I've heard a lot of good about Repashy in the fishy sector.

I try to never feed them the same thing two days in a row-their most repetitive food is probably animal proteins. He may be wanting it since he might've come up from a molt? I saved them from some ick conditions at school and they did an emergency molt (they had been there for over a year, 1/4 inch dry sand and ambient humidity/heat with no hides or good shells) then I believe they came up and did a second one after that.

You didn't miss anything, thank you!
Caretaker/owner(?) of two PP's, Percy (F) and Atlantis (M).
Personally posses:
The #1 shoulder geck, Nameless. (Leopard Gecko)
Carrot and Cake, common and comet goldfish respectively.
A radioactive marshmallow known as a dog.