How to feed mixes?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
mimirabbit

How to feed mixes?

Post by mimirabbit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm

So might be kind of a dumb question, but I received 20 mixes today and I'm not sure if you just put them in straight or what? Will the crabs be able to pick up the dry powder? Thanks!
Owner of two hermit crabs (Old Bay and Kelp), one cat (Misty), and one leopard gecko (Edwardo). Feel free to message! ヽ(ΦωΦヽ)

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: How to feed mixes?

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:02 pm

They can! Every time I feed my crew they get all kinds of different powders. They love it..:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
mimirabbit

Post by mimirabbit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:15 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:They can! Every time I feed my crew they get all kinds of different powders. They love it..:)

Alright, thanks! This is my first time using powders so I wasn't sure :)
Owner of two hermit crabs (Old Bay and Kelp), one cat (Misty), and one leopard gecko (Edwardo). Feel free to message! ヽ(ΦωΦヽ)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:16 pm

You're welcome.

#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:45 pm

It's so cute to watch them pick up dry mixes pinch by pinch -- it's like a little conveyor belt: pinch to mouth, pinch to mouth, pinch to mouth, for minutes on end!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
mimirabbit

Post by mimirabbit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:03 am

Crabinski wrote:It's so cute to watch them pick up dry mixes pinch by pinch -- it's like a little conveyor belt: pinch to mouth, pinch to mouth, pinch to mouth, for minutes on end!
I know <3 How much of the powdered mix do you usually give them? I'm not really sure how much to give >.<

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:26 am

I just ordered some online and I don't think it really matters how much you give them as long as they are eating their other food, the powder is pretty much a "dessert" :)
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 am

I don't often have powdered mixes, but with any food, I just give them small amounts of many different things every time I refresh the food dish. The amount will depend on how many crabs you have. Just start small and see how they do. If the dish is cleared pretty quickly, add a bit more next time. If you feel like you're wasting quite a bit, cut back.

As for them being "desserts." That depends entirely on the ingredients. Though I agree that fresh foods should be a part of their diet too. :)

Topic author
mimirabbit

Post by mimirabbit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 pm

CallaLily wrote:I don't often have powdered mixes, but with any food, I just give them small amounts of many different things every time I refresh the food dish. The amount will depend on how many crabs you have. Just start small and see how they do. If the dish is cleared pretty quickly, add a bit more next time. If you feel like you're wasting quite a bit, cut back.

As for them being "desserts." That depends entirely on the ingredients. Though I agree that fresh foods should be a part of their diet too. :)
Well, I haven't seen them eating it yet, but every morning it's everywhere so I'm assuming that's a good sign. I'll give them a new mix today and see how they do!

Topic author
mimirabbit

Post by mimirabbit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Hmm, so I've given some different mixes but I'm still not sure if they're actually eating it. I haven't seen any of them eat, and the food always seems pushed around instead of eaten. I really hope they're eating, I'm starting to get worried :(

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:33 pm

They eat very small amounts - unless you have a lot of crabs who are demolishing the food dish every night, it can be hard to tell how much they're eating. Try not to worry! The food being pushed around is a good sign. :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Like everyone else said, a pinch of this and a pinch of that in a dry bowl.

When NaRnAR had her shop, she had one called Sick Crab Smoothie. It was a powder mix like the others but I mixed with with either honey, coconut oil or red palm oil. It got several sick rescues I had back then to start eating. I imagnie you could do that with ANY of the mixes just as a different way to serve it up. I have noticed my Es don't like getting the same foods all the time so I do have to rotate foods a lot. ;)

A couple OLD pics- I don't have any current ones. I think I need to start again I love making food for them LOL
Fruit-Flower-Nuts& Grains, Nuts&Bugs, dried Krill, Bee Pollen, dried coconut, and other misc. food from NaRNaR

Wet and Dry dishes
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18

Topic author
mimirabbit

Post by mimirabbit » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:51 pm

megmaholm wrote:They eat very small amounts - unless you have a lot of crabs who are demolishing the food dish every night, it can be hard to tell how much they're eating. Try not to worry! The food being pushed around is a good sign. :)
Hmm... Well, I've left it for about a 2 days now, and it hasn't been moved anymore. Maybe they just don't like that one? I'll try giving them a different mix. I only have two big crabs in this tank, so I don't expect them to eat TOO much :P

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Yep, I'd try something different to see if that helps. It's funny how picky they can be about stuff, considering they're scavengers. I usually give my crew a good variety of stuff daily, separated in little piles so it's easier to keep track of what's being eaten and what isn't. Inevitably I end up offering something that not a single crab touches. I just make a note of it and try something else.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
mimirabbit

Post by mimirabbit » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:20 am

Victory! :) I gave them a dessert banana coconut mix and they loved it. I'm not sure why they hated the other mixes so much. Maybe I'll just give them to another hemit crab loving friend and hope they have better luck! :P