"Prepared" Shredded Squid

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Maliblue

"Prepared" Shredded Squid

Post by Maliblue » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:45 am

So I got this sort of dried squid snack from a Japanese Market. I was intending to try it for myself but frankly it's horribly fishy smelling and tasting. I figure the crabs would probably like something like this but I'm not sure if all of the ingredients are okay.

Here is the list of ingredients: squid, sugar, lactose, sorbitol, rice vinegar, salt, MSG, chili powder and sorbic acid.
My main concern is the MSG, sorbitol, and sorbic acid. Those are the ingredients I'm unsure about. So what do you guys think? Yay or nay?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: "Prepared" Shredded Squid

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:19 am

I'll give them things from the Asian Grocery that are just salted, but I think that has way too many preservatives.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Maliblue

Post by Maliblue » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:43 am

Yeah you're probably right, this stuff should probably just go straight to the bin. I'd rather not chance it.

me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:28 pm

The outdoor critters would probably like it. Toss in back your and wait for guests.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

malacophile

Post by malacophile » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:01 pm

I live in an area with many Asian stores that carry things like this, as well as dried fish. However, I've been too nervous about giving it to the crabs simply because food additive standards are different in China and other Asian countries where these things are produced than they are here. There is much less transparency. So even if if says it's just fish and salt, I still avoid it.