New Food Storage Bins!

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
marandashermies

New Food Storage Bins!

Post by marandashermies » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:40 pm

I was at Office Max last night and saw these little cubes, that I thought would be perfect for food storage. Because when you have crabs, everything you see, you wonder how you could use it for your crabs, lol! :hlol: I bought a bunch of them and then a large box to put all the small ones in. I was only able to fit half of my food stash in this one. I am going back tonight to buy another large box to put the rest of my food and all my minerals in. So far it works great! Easy to get in and out of, and keeps the fish/shrimp smell within the box. :thumbleft: Each box has little flip up handles that clip to the box. These should keep my cats out of the fish/shrimp!!

Here are a few photos. They are called "Really Useful Box". And of course, because I am an organization freak, I made labels for each box :roll:

{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Crabinski

Re: New Food Storage Bins!

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:02 pm

I love those little boxes! I discovered them about two years ago at Office Max and use them to store some of my smaller rocks/minerals/geodes.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:12 pm

Awesome! I love how freekin adorable some of you with your labels! I wish I was that organized and cute! All my food is in plastic bags w/handwritten labels that are coming off and some of it I don't even know what it is anymore. It's one of those areas I'm trying to figure out how to be organized around, my "feeding system" is not ideal yet.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:17 am

landlubber wrote:Awesome! I love how freekin adorable some of you with your labels! I wish I was that organized and cute! All my food is in plastic bags w/handwritten labels that are coming off and some of it I don't even know what it is anymore. It's one of those areas I'm trying to figure out how to be organized around, my "feeding system" is not ideal yet.

If you were close to MN I would LOVE to do it for you! I love organizing, its like my favorite thing to do :)
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Well, my dear I can tell you do well at it, and most people don't. There has to be a career in there somewhere for you! :wink: OH is close to MN compared to CA.......it's all relative...... :twisted:
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

WinkyCrab

Post by WinkyCrab » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:32 pm

I have some of those bins. I never thought to use them for food storage; that's a great idea! i'm going to try it! :cheer:

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:18 pm

marandashermies wrote:If you were close to MN I would LOVE to do it for you! I love organizing, its like my favorite thing to do :)
marandashermies, maybe you could upload a printable file of your labels that others could download and use... hobby business or community service! ;)

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 pm

I would but I make them as I go along so I don't have them saved anywhere. I just open up a word document type the name and Google a pic and place it under it. Then just print it off, cut it out and use packing tape to tape it on. Pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Wow, very creative.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:35 pm

Krusty Krab wrote:Wow, very creative.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
thanks! I now have 3 large totes of food. One for supplements, one for fruits and one for protein. Then I have a section in my fridge for the crabs. :roll: I think I am officially obsessed with purchasing crab food. I have been told on more than one occasion, my crabs eat better than I do! I think I have bought at least one of everything, if not more from delicouslycrabby and hermieskitchen. Dinner time for the kids is always eventful at my house! lol

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:52 pm

How long does the dried food keep? I made kale chips and roasted spaghetti squash seeds last week, but the crabs eat so little, I wonder if it will go bad before it runs out! We have to be really careful to keep things air-tight in Central FL, it can be so humid that if you leave something on the counter for a couple of hours it'll go stale, lol.

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:47 pm

hprmom wrote:How long does the dried food keep? I made kale chips and roasted spaghetti squash seeds last week, but the crabs eat so little, I wonder if it will go bad before it runs out! We have to be really careful to keep things air-tight in Central FL, it can be so humid that if you leave something on the counter for a couple of hours it'll go stale, lol.
I keep some things in my fridge, like coconut, some of the cookies, worm castings, to name few. That is just to keep them fresh. So far I haven't had anything really "go bad". But everything is really air tight. Yes, FL is definitely more humid then MN! So you might want to put some additional items in the fridge. To be honest, not sure if they can really go bad, other then getting mold from the humidity. But I could be wrong!