Homemade hermit crab food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Homemade hermit crab food?

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew some good ways to make hermit crab food. I've always given my hermit crabs cut up fresh foods every night. Or I bought homemade foods on etsy. I've been thinking of making homemade dry food for them and putting it in containers, making it so much more simple to give to them. If anyone knows the best way to make it or recipes for them, that would be great.

Thanks so much!
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Life is not complete without a "few" critters!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Homemade hermit crab food?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:10 pm

I've taken things that my hermits like and mixed them myself, and put them into bags. Then I make silly names for them. Somebody shared a recipe on here once...I'll try to locate it for you. :)

Edit: Nevermind, I'm sorry, it was a recipe for a turtle. Sorry!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:45 pm

I don't remember the exact proportions but the recipe was:
Rice
Oatmeal
Spirulina powder
Ground up cuttlbone
Salt
Ground up protein such as shrimp or krill

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Found this on another post.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:49 pm

Ok great, I may just try different combinations sometime. My hermit crabs are such picky eaters. I was thinking of buying some homemade foods on etsy, something different for them to see if they preferred they right now. But thought I could maybe just make it on my own. Just trying to think of something new to do for these picky eaters lol.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:42 am

If you've never tried nuts- try sunflower seeds, pecans, or almonds. (non-salted) Mine also love most leaves, and bark. Hemp seeds/ chia/ flax are also great sources of food mine seem to love. I give them "roasted" nori that they seem to munch on as well. Just some ideas of my crabs faves. Popcorn is a fave too- but it doesn't have much as far as nutrition goes. Hope this helps! :)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:03 am

I'm prone to periods of intense lethargy - so having a few different ready-made mixes on hand is a mater of responsible pet-ownership.

These have protein, dried plant mater, grain, a little something sweet, and an extra something that I know the crabs dig.

Two of my recipes...

1:
- Dried mysis shrimp (this was frozen fish food that I thawed & dried in my oven)
- powdered coconut
-dried chamomile flowers (herbal tea from a bulk store)
-dried pineapple, or other fruit (I dried it in my oven, but you could use store bought, or another fruit)
-finely chopped nori seaweed
-ground up soft wheat kernels

- dried insects (powdered in a coffee grinder)
- dulse flakes
- crushed eggshell (I just chopped it fine)
- bee pollin
- amaranth
- dried apple, fine chopped
- dried oak leaves, crumbled

The bulk store is your friend!! I find my guys are partial to dried fruits, bee pollen, ground insects, and dried oak leaves (I make those from leaves I harvest).

I bought four different kinds of seaweed... but one is probably enough. :roll:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Rawrgeous- I have tried a variety of nuts, but they dont seem to care for them at all. I have yet to try leaves, chia, and the other stuff you mentioned, will definitely try that stuff.

LadyJinglyJones- I will for sure try these recipes, thanks so much. I think starting to make this will be so much easier on me lol.

Also does anyone know where to buy seaweed? I'm not sure the stores around here have it, and I have been wanting to use that. Thanks so much!

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm

The petsmart I go to has a couple varieties. They sell it with the fish food.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

I make my own mixes out of a bunch of stuff (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, rice) out of the bulk section at whole foods that I grind and cut up- then I add dried insects, krill, calcium powder and any other close to non-perishable stuff u have lying around. I also add a silica gel packet to keep it fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:44 pm

I picked up a bunch of stuff at the store today. I got some fish to, but was wondering if it's ok to feed it raw or should I cook it first?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:18 pm

HermitCrabAddicted wrote:I picked up a bunch of stuff at the store today. I got some fish to, but was wondering if it's ok to feed it raw or should I cook it first?
Fish can go raw. Just think- in the wild they don't cook washed up fish on little stoves (:

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Thats what I figured, just wanted to be sure, thanks! :)

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:18 pm

HermitCrabAddicted wrote:Thats what I figured, just wanted to be sure, thanks! :)
NpImage

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Was wondering if anyone knows how to make dried fruit in the oven? I was going to buy a food dehydrator, but saw I could dry fruits in the oven but just not sure how to...lol

Thanks!